Selling canoe in Dillingham Septembet 30, 2004

KC

I am planning drop camp hunting SW AK interior next summer using Dillingham as my base. Three trips of about ten days each. So the cost of renting watercraft (raft, cataraft, canoe, etc.) could mount up.

I think I have solved our watercraft dilemma. REI has a store in Anchorage and if you buy a canoe over the Internet you can pick it up at any store no charge. Pacific Alaska Forwarding will pick it up at REI and ship it to the bush pilot in Dillingham. So it will be waiting there for me when I arrive. I can do all this at less than half the cost of renting watercraft.

When I'm done with it, I will try to trade it with the pilot for a discount on air fare or maybe sell it to someone else.

Anyone wnat to buy a canoe in Dillingham next summer? Say end of September?

KC

rolleyes.gif

How about some more details (cost, payload, etc). I might be interested. I know shipping NAC back wont be that expensive for me.

lillbigun:

It's an Allagash manufactured by Old Town. Here's the specs

Weight 75 pounds
Hull material PolyLink 3
Gunwales material Vinyl
Length 16 ft. 4 in.
Width 37.5 inches
Depth 14 inches
Capacity 1050 pounds

KC

KC, Sounds like you have an Awsome Plan. Let us know how it works. Take lots of pictures and post details... Ohhh yah, I know it's a ways off.. BUT I'm still excited for ya
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

You never mensioned the price ?

Moosie:

The canoe will cost $700 plus tax and another $183 to ship it to Dillingham. I hope to break even and get a $900 discount on airfare from the bush pilot in trade for leaving the canoe with him. Or maybe on the way out, sell it to someone in Dillingham for $800.

If I have to sell it to someone in Anchorage then I will probably have to absorb a loss to make it worth their effort to ship it back to Anchorage. But that's still better than paying for 30 days of rental fees.

Good luck on your trip to AK.

KC

Those two lodges in Tikchik state park north of Dillingham charge $5000/week/person to stay there, so KC is way ahead of those costs, compared to buying and paying to fly a canoe around up there.

Its still a lot of money, but a major adventure, too.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back