Second scope

peterk1234

I am proud owner of a kowa 883. Love the thing. It's used at the range, for hunting and photography. The image quality when I'm taking pics is incredible. But, with a tripod in lugging around 8 pounds.

I'm seriously considering a lighter compromise when going on farther and carrying stuff like sleeping gear.

Very tempted to get the kowa 553. But the price is giving me pause. Since I have is big brother, maybe I would be happy with a slightly lower quality. It would only be used for hunting. And it would/ should take over where my meopta meostar binos max out. Considering the vortex 50mm.

Bad idea? Or do you guys think it would fit the need? I would pair it with a lighter tripod as well. I think I can shave four pounds.

While way below your price range, & probably your optics quality, i have a Celestron C70 Mini Mak.

Large diameter, short body length, and doesn't weigh near as much as a conventional spotter.
Add the fact that the eye piece is standard telescope threads & dimensions. You can taylor the eyepiece to your needs. Along with color filters for weather/ambient light conditions.

I typically watch deer, elk, bear about 600 yards to about 2 miles.

Where it sucks is seeing 22 caliber bullet holes on off color paper when there's lots of mirage.
The different eyepiece lenses help, but take away the zoom ability.

The two spotters I hunt with the most are the Kowa 773 and Vortex Razor 11-33x50. While the Razor is a good scope, and it fits my needs as a pack scope, the Kowa is just way better glass. I‘ve contemplated selling my Razor to buy a Kowa 553.

The two spotters I hunt with the most are the Kowa 773 and Vortex Razor 11-33x50. While the Razor is a good scope, and it fits my needs as a pack scope, the Kowa is just way better glass. I‘ve contemplated selling my Razor to buy a Kowa 553.
Is clarity the issue or the fov?

Get either the Kowa 553 or check out the Leupold Gold Ring HD 12-40x60mm. I was between these two options when upgrading spotters last year and have been very happy with the Gold Ring I got.

Looking through the Kowa the image quality is brighter and crisper.

I have a meopta s2 82 and a kowa 553. The kowa and a sub 2# tripod/head combo are what comes with hunting if I have considerable walking to do. I don't have experience with the competition but I know the kowa has ranked considerably above the others at that size/weight class in comparison.

The little Kowa can get impressively sharp images but there is a notable compromise between it and the 82 meopta in the form of FOV and sensitivity to perfect eye placement. There is just a much tighter window to where your eye needs to be to get a good image compared to the bigger scopes.
Since I have is big brother, maybe I would be happy with a slightly lower quality.

For me it'd be more like "since I have a sweet 883, its hard to be happy looking through a smaller budget spotter".

That said, i have no experience with the 50 razor and know quite a few people were happy with them when the choice was between it and the 50 nikon before the 553 release.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back