Searching for a new Tripod

Aaron KS197

I am in the process of picking up a new tripod that I can use both for my spotting scope and my binos. I have been reading on the forum about different tripods and what it did was overwhelm me with choices and different features.
I want to be able to use it for sitting all day and glassing or if I wanted to stand (I'm 6'2).
I'm not sure what style of head would be best for glassing a ball head, three-way, or fluid system? What are the pros and cons of each?
I would like to keep the price under $150.
I have been looking at the Vortex tripods and Slik SPRINT PRO III.

Any suggestions or prior knowledge that can be used to help narrow down my decision would be helpful.

In my experience anything I'm willing to carry regularly is nearly useless when fully extended, unless it's dead calm. If I wanted a tripod for frequent standing use it'd be a heavy mother with a video head. For general use the Slik Sprints are a good value IMO.

In my experience anything I'm willing to carry regularly is nearly useless when fully extended, unless it's dead calm. If I wanted a tripod for frequent standing use it'd be a heavy mother with a video head. For general use the Slik Sprints are a good value IMO.
Hang your backpack on your tripod and that will eliminate a lot of distortion.

Hang your backpack on your tripod and that will eliminate a lot of distortion.
Not enough to matter IMO, wind starts blowing and the pack causes more trouble than it solves. I hang rocks in a stuff sack on mine at times when sitting, low to the ground and wind broken by my legs it doesn't act as a sail.

Good tripods are vastly more stable than the inexpensive choices but are well worth every cent. A good spotting scope is wasted if it is not stable and has a lot of vibration. I use Manfrotto tripods and heads but the Slik brand is very well thought of also. Good tripods are fairly heavy unless you spend double and get the carbon fiber models.

I like ball mounts for general photography but I do not like them for use with a spotting scope. With a spotting scope I like a fluid head. Once you start buying heads you will want to stick with one brand to make it easier to match the quick-change plates so pick a brand that has options. I may well be wrong but I believe the Vortex brand heads do not use commonly available plates.

Back