SE Wyo Goose Hunters

bullbugle307

Two upcoming public meetings regarding proposed dark goose hunting regulations in SE Wyoming in 22-23.

Two main topics will be discussed. Raising the limit from 4 to 5 geese and getting rid of the asinine shooting hours for dark geese in C1A.

The current shooting hours are half hour before sunrise to 1 p.m. every day except Wednesday and Saturday until December 31st. After January 1, it's half hour before sunrise to 1 p.m. every day except Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. On Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays (after Jan 1) it's the normal waterfowl shooting hours, half hour before sunrise to sunset.

The proposed regulation change would make it half hour before sunrise to sunset...period.

I plan on attending the Cheyenne meeting on Feb 7, along with at least two others in order to express support for the proposed changes. I may attend the Torrington meeting as well on the 10th, as that's where I think things will be interesting.

From what I understand, the only reason these shooting hours exist in their current form is that the outfitters in the area in question have successfully lobbied the commission not to change them in the past, despite agency and public support to do so, simply because they don't want to have to hunt afternoons. I wish I was kidding, but I'm not.

This suggests to me that any real organized opposition will again be at the commission level, so this is just a first step.

So, if anyone else is interested in going, shoot me a PM.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm old school in thinking here but I do really believe in the idea of letting the birds rest after noon and wait until the next morning.

Back