Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

SD West River Deer

MNWhitetail

Hey Guys,

Looking at doing a west river SD hunt this year, I currently have 2pts and looks like quite a few areas I should have a good shot at getting drawn. Does any one have experience in any of these zones: 31A, 49A, 49B, 50A, or 53C? Would prefer to bag a Muley but would never pass up a good whitetail.

I am leaning towards throwing in for 49B. Any thoughts, experiences or other info would be helpful.

I have been hunting MT and WY the past 3 years and building points in SD.

Thanks!

49B looks much better than 49A.
I did a quick drive-scout through 50A before. Looks like real good country, but we didn’t see a deer.
31A passes the eye test, but I’ve never been, but pretty sure I knew a guy that outfits that way and they do pretty well. Without looking at tag applicants and previous draws, I’d say 49B or 31A offer the most opportunity, with 53C not far off, but my gut says that gets more pressure. Could be wrong.

I would watch spring weather in western SD most of it is in drought. Disease seems to always be a problem with our west river herds when in drought. This might not be a good year to plan coming to SD.

Yes and the year I drew NonResident tag for West River Deer.
After I get out there to hunt I am told by the locals they could turn there tags in because Deer had died and very few left.
Thanks South Dakota I wait several year to go and they have a huge die off. I was not offered a chance to turn in my tag.
But it’s all about the Money.

I’ve not hunted 49B, but have some experience out in WR. You will definitely see deer. PM me if you have more questions.

Yes and the year I drew NonResident tag for West River Deer.
After I get out there to hunt I am told by the locals they could turn there tags in because Deer had died and very few left.
Thanks South Dakota I wait several year to go and they have a huge die off. I was not offered a chance to turn in my tag.
But it’s all about the Money.
What year was this? I had an option to return my tag one year due to EHD losses. Curious if they just like me better?

I know they did this between ’12 and ’14. They gave you candy cane tags if you shot one with any sort of disease.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was curious why you were specific to EHD. Plenty of reasons for replacement tags.
Oh, I was merely speaking from past experience. Shot a doe that looked normal until I approached the body. Called GFP and he said he’s got a “candy cane” tag for me.

What year was this? I had an option to return my tag one year due to EHD losses. Curious if they just like me better?
I thinking around 2007 time frame hunted Northwest of Pickstown as my friend has a cabin there.
I even took a picture of a very nice deer Dead from the disease.
What I thought was total BS in the early 1980’s had been hunting out by the east side of the Badlands and we did not draw a tag one year as they had a big die off from EHD but this what was wrong we were offered a Buck only Tag since the Deer suffered a big EHD kill at 2 1/2 the price of a normal NonResident tag.
If the Deer herd needs to recover let it recover, don’t put it up for the highest bidder.
I also think I don’t want to buy a expensive tag to just shoot a forkhorned deer.
I wish all Western States went to 4 points a side, or tall 3 point.
I think a lot of Montana sells to many Tags, says the rancher who told Me he had not seen a 30 inch buck in 5 years not like he use to.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back