Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

SD Deer Die Off

jzeck2

I was looking forward to my South Dakota Deer Hunt this year until news began to trickle out late summer and now more bad news as crops are being harvested. Sounds like a good portion of the eastern side of the state and a few areas in the western half had pretty terrible die off due to EHD. The following is the latest press release from SD GFP on the extent and license buy back:

"South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) has received nearly 1,200 reports of dead white-tailed deer likely due to epizootic hemorrhagic disease (EHD). Reports of deer loss have been documented in 38 counties, with EHD confirmed in 17 counties through laboratory testing.

In response to the documented cases and concerns shared by sportsmen and women as well as landowners, GFP is removing all remaining antlerless licenses from the following East River firearm hunting units: Aurora, Brule, Buffalo, Douglas, Hand, Hughes, Jerauld, Miner, Sanborn, and East and West Sully.

In addition, voluntary refunds will be offered to individuals who have already received a deer license for any East River firearm hunting unit and the West River hunting units 45A and 45B in Lyman County. Preference points will be reinstated for individuals seeking a refund for licenses issued in the first deer drawing.

The disease seems to be most prevalent in central and southeastern South Dakota and it is unknown as to how many more deer will be reported as hunting seasons and crop harvest begins."

So far I have found 5 likely EHD killed deer in SE Montana. By no means a big outbreak but some dead deer none the less. I almost certainly will find more this spring looking for sheds.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back