Scouting areas with loaded handgun while out of season?

A207X2

Can I carry a loaded handgun for safety/self defense from predators while scouting out of season? For example, scouting different areas of AZ prior to desert mule deer season, carrying a handgun to protect from mountain lions, etc.

What is the law in AZ say. Do you have a permit to carry? Do you have a CCW ? Are you in law enforcement ?.. If you are permitted in your home state doesn't mean you would be permitted in a different state . Best bet would be to call AZ and check with them.

I would imagine if you have a concealed carry permit you can carry. I know in MN it's illegal to carry a sidearm when archery hunting unless you have a CC permit.

2nd Amendment doesn't stop at the AZ border, and the Game Dept has zero say in the matter unless you're hunting. OR Fish/Wildlife tried to regulate firearm carry and got slapped by the courts.

Thanks. Yes, CWL here from FL, and reciprocity with AZ so was not worried about that. Was more concerned if I got stopped by Fish & Wildlife and they see I have a loaded gun with me and might try to charge me was being a poacher. It would be a 10mm handgun with 17 rounds.

I often carry a rifle. Am a decent pistol shot, but if my dogs get in a tangle with a coyote, I'd likely do better being selective regarding my target than I would my pistol.

I always carry a pistol - it's the defaut.

You could also be hunting coyotes while you scout, at least here in NM. Open season year round.

David
NM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back