MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Scoring Guessing Game 7

Eli,

Are you ever significantly wrong with your guesses after you get a clients buck on the ground? Seems the answer should be no since you really know your lopes. However if you are ever wrong...this might be the time. I'm not even close to being an expert, but using some of your techniques on judging size I'm just not seeing 17 inches of Legnth on him. If he is indeed 90inches I'm giving up on ever trying to field judge a lope again!! :D

Occasionally we'll misjudge a buck, but we try our best to get it right.

How long do you think this buck is? Would you be surprised if I told you it was 15 5/8?
2009_WY_Hicks.jpg

As far as where we see the length on the Prime Time buck - we have him around 6 6/8 to the prong and about 10 3/8 past the prong if his ears are over 7 inches, his eye at 1 7/8 and his eye to eye at over 5 1/8. All of these facial numbers should be close if not a little on the small side. If, however, the buck's face is much smaller than that then we will be wrong on the score.

One of the bucks we're using to compare is "Righty" taken by Sam Jaksick Jr. in 1993. From the front view the two bucks are very similar (even from the side view they're not too dissimilar). Righty scored 93 2/8 and was 17 3/8 inches long.
RightyJuanWhopper-Edit-2.jpg

We're crossing our fingers.

Occasionally we'll misjudge a buck, but we try our best to get it right.

How long do you think this buck is? Would you be surprised if I told you it was 15 5/8?
View attachment 21059

I would have guessed right around 15 inches.

As far as where we see the length on the Prime Time buck - we have him around 6 6/8 to the prong and about 10 3/8 past the prong if his ears are over 7 inches, his eye at 1 7/8 and his eye to eye at over 5 1/8. All of these facial numbers should be close if not a little on the small side. If, however, the buck's face is much smaller than that then we will be wrong on the score.

One of the bucks we're using to compare is "Righty" taken by Sam Jaksick Jr. in 1993. From the front view the two bucks are very similar (even from the side view they're not too dissimilar). Righty scored 93 2/8 and was 17 3/8 inches long.
View attachment 21060

We're crossing our fingers.

This is why I love your posts...after this kind of explanation I can see the numbers. How is that book coming along??? this is useful stuff for the "don't know jack" types like me.

One more question. On your guesses before you put a buck on the ground do you try to make precise guesses or play it safe so when your client puts the buck on the ground it might measure it bigger?

Dang; off by 3". Eli, what this thread should tell you is that you should be posting a bunch of these lope scoring games (like at least one a week) to help us HTers refine our field judging skills. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back