Scope shopping - VX-3HD vs VX-5

TN2shot07

So I'm looking for glass for a Howa 25-06 that I recently picked up.

My other rifles currently wear VX-3i's in either 3.5-10 or 2.5-8 and I've had great experiences with them so far.

I don't currently run anything with a CDS dial as all of my shots fall below the 300 yard mark so I just do the 3 inches high at 100. Since there was a slight price increase with the new line I was leaning toward trying one of the VX-5's in 2-10x42 and wanted to see if anyone had used both and how they compared and if it's worth it?

P.S. - I know @schmalts is the way to go, I already checked and no stock on either one ☹️

Thanks!
Josh

I have used both and the VX5HD is hands down a better scope. I have one for my muzzleloader (2-10x42) and it’s a significant upgrade to the VX3I HD. I am in the process of trying to replace all my VX3Is now.

I suppose the question is on a 5 day hunt for pronghorn or deer or sheep then how long will you be behind the spotter vs the binos vs the scope. Once my rifle is sighted in, I spend about 15 minutes a hunt behind the scope. Incremental improvement in the clarity of the scope's glass might not move the needle at all on my odds of success.

The glass quality between 3 & 5 series is noticable. The choice is like between a Totota Camry and a Lexus ES. Both will get you to work, but one is a heck of a lot nicer at a premium price.

The glass quality between 3 & 5 series is noticable. The choice is like between a Totota Camry and a Lexus ES. Both will get you to work, but one is a heck of a lot nicer at a premium price.
Has it been established the the 5HD is noticeably superior to the 3HD? I might buy that for the VX3i...might not also.

This was also my thinking, the premium price seems more reasonable when they up the Camry and not the Lexus... This would be my first venture into that level of optics and didn’t know if it’s worth it

Has it been established the the 5HD is noticeably superior to the 3HD? I might buy that for the VX3i...might not also.
I’d also be interested to know if anybody has experience with the 3HD yet, I figured it’d be a while since they’re just hitting shelves

Good point - I was basing off my 5HDs and VX3is. I assumed Leupold wouldn't canabalized the 5 series, but will be interesting to hear as the new 3HDs get in people's hands.

can't speak to the new 3HDs, but if you want a 5HD 2-10 please pm me as i have one nib. they are great glass. thanks

Sitting on a vx-3i 3-10x40 myself. Really want to get my eye though a VX3HD before i mount it to a new rifle i picked up. Eager to hear peoples thoughts.

I like how much lower profile the vx3i is to the vx5. yes, glass is much better on the 5. But upper hand goes to vx3i on fitment, cheek weld and rifle weight (all things that can help lead to a successful hunt/shot just like glass quality)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back