Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Scope question

RyeGuy74

Does anyone have any recommendations for a scope that has a range that can go from >50 yard shots of the woods of Wisconsin up to the <300-400 yard shots of the rocky Mountains?

Any reputable brand 3-9x40 will happily do that. Personally, after many recommendations of the folks in here I’ve been liking the Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40. It’s been a great scope for me on my .338-06. I’ve had good luck with various 3-9x40’s as well though.

400 yards is not very far on the low side is just a 4x fixed power would work.
You did not say what kid of rifle you have but a 2x7 or 3x9 would be the best price Leupold 3.5x10 3i is excellent choice.

Last edited:
If hunting thick areas, I wouldn't want more than 3 or 4 on low end. Can't go wrong with Leupold VX 3i or 5HD. I have a 5HD 3-15x44mm and it's awesome with versatility. Of course more expensive and heavier than 3i.

Have a fixed 4x on my rifle. Have shot deer at 50 to 250 without a worry. Easy to use, quick on target up close, enough mag for deer at longer distances.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a scope that has a range that can go from >50 yard shots of the woods of Wisconsin up to the <300-400 yard shots of the rocky Mountains?
I’ve lived in WI all my life and hunt both here and open country out west. My first scope was a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 (great all around magnification), but I switched to Vortex after learning they are a WI company. So, my all-around go-to now is a Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40 (I also use a 1.5-8x32 and 3-15x42).
A currently available, great value all-around option from Vortex is a 2.5-10x44 Viper HD.
I really value lower magnification on the low end when hunting WI woods, and the more I hunt out west the more I realize I don’t need as much magnification on the high end.

I like 4x or lower on the bottom end for hunting closer in heavy cover. My elk rifle, a 300 Weatherby, wears a 3-15 Zeiss with a Z800 reticle that matches the trajectory all the way out to 800. I’ve killed elk from 11 to 550 yards with an average where we hunt in NW Colorado of just over 300. Any dependable 3-9 or similar will do what you need I like the 3-15 but the extra magnification isn’t necessary just nice to have. Most of my shots are taken with the rifle Scope set on 5 or 6 power.

Back