MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Scope mounting help.

From the Gun Smith:

“It's a windage issue then.

I'll look at it but going to warn you it could be costly to get straightened out.

I'm sure that the holes are out of position. Not uncommon on stuff of that vintage.”

Thank God it wasn’t my rifle and I got that response, that the start of a argument after what he paid. It’s a good thing my buddy has the patience of a Saint.

I would look into a scope base like this if you can find one to fit your rifle. The base should align the rings decently. Your gross windage adjustments will be done with the 2 screws at the rear. You want the front dovetail to be snug, but not so tight that the scope tube bends instead of the base turning in the dovetail like it's supposed to. Your best approach is to do your adjusting with the top half of the rings off so that you can just lift the scope out and turn the front dovetail if needed. I find that a padded channel lock pliers works pretty good for that. Just cover the jaws with some cardboard and duct tape it on. Good luck.

s-l1600.jpg

Any update?

My smith is never in a hurry to go welding or drilling the front ring of a bolt gun. Heat treatment is a tricky thing.

I wouldn’t hold that against the guy. It would cost the same whether he did it upfront or after your buddy got it back. It’s not his fault the holes are jacked up...

Looked at all the options to fix it. Gunsmith wanted it shot at distance to see if it was actually a windage problem before changing to windage rings or cutting new holes.

Range time this past weekend showed it shoots fine for windage between 25 and 100 yards. Using some basic load development it shot 1.5 MOA. Loaded up some seating depth loads and have it ready to go back to the range. Will stretch it out to 200 yards to see how it does.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wisco94
Back