Scope mounting bases not level?

Paul in Idaho

I bought a new rifle, scope and mounting system. I put it together, put a laser boresighter in and the laser dot was about a foot below the crosshairs at 25 yards. After first checking all the bolts for tightness, I started removing components until I got to the bases. They didn't look level at all, so to verify what I thought I saw, I pressed a good straightedge onto the front base. Sure enough, there's a big gap between the ruler and the back base.

I'm wondering now if the back base is not the right model for this rifle. I had noticed earlier that its alignment over the action was off a bit. Do any of you have other ideas what could be wrong, before I drive back to the store to return them?

rifle-bases-gap.jpg

Last edited:
My rings are anterior/posterior specific. Once reversed I could rough mount and start to sight in.

Thanks for your replies. These mounts are front/back specific too - hole spacing is different. I got the base package and looked up the model number on the manufacturer's product chart. It turns out these bases are meant for the Mark V rifle, and I have a Vanguard.

Same thing happened to me. Drove me nuts for awhile before I contacted weatherby and they told me what the deal was. Did you get the mounts from MidwayUSA? The description on the site was a bit misleading. Glad you got it all figured out with only a minor headache.

Did you get the mounts from MidwayUSA?

No, I got them with the rifle at Cabela's. The guy behind the counter went out and got them for me. In fairness, the package was only marked "Weatherby" with no indication it wouldn't fit all models. I took them back today and got a refund, no problem. Now I'm waiting for the Talley replacements to arrive from Weatherby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back