Scope for a Cooper Timberline

freu1chr

I just ordered a new cooper timberline from my local scheels in 300 Win Mag. Wondering what scope You guys would put on the rifle, to make the rifle the best it can be? I have a leupold Vx5Hd 3-15X56 on my Christensen 6.5 PRC should i stay with this scope or go to something like a Swarovski? I like the concept of the CDS dial and would like the option of turrets.

I haven’t owned a vx-5hd but you won’t find many people complaining about them. I just wish they offered more/different reticles. Another good option is the zeiss V4. I’m using a 4–16 power and it’s been great. You can find them for decent prices.

I just ordered a new cooper timberline from my local scheels in 300 Win Mag. Wondering what scope You guys would put on the rifle, to make the rifle the best it can be? I have a leupold Vx5Hd 3-15X56 on my Christensen 6.5 PRC should i stay with this scope or go to something like a Swarovski? I like the concept of the CDS dial and would like the option of turrets.
Scope recommendation would highly depend on type & range of hunting or shooting your going to be doing, along with budget.

As for CDS type of turrets.
They are fine IF you are planning on using one particular bullet, at a particular velocity, at a particular elevation range.

I'd rather stick with MOA (or MILs if that's your thing).
MOA is always MOA. MILs are always MILs.
Doesn't matter if you change bullets, velocity, or atmospherics.

You ordered it custom? What is the wait time?

I have owned a Phoenix M54, Excalibur M52, and Jackson Hunter M54, but bought them all from retailers who had already ordered them. Curious what the turnaround time is, as well as your impressions of the Timberline? I like the palm swell, the newer trigger/safety, the stainless steel, spiral fluted barrel, and the muzzle break. I think that will be my next Cooper...

As for your questions on glass, I think Swaros and Coopers go together very well.....since you like to play with the turrets, you may consider the Z6 with the Ballistic Turret. Otherwise I have the BRH reticle on all mine because it's one less thing to fiddle with when the moment of truth arrives. Pick the closest crosshair and shoot your animal. They are very accurate with Swarovski's online calculator....you just need to enter your Muzzle velocity, Ballistic coefficient, bullet weight, and altitude.

I have a Swaro Z5 on my Jackson Excalibur (what it was called before being named Timberline) and I have no complaints at all.

I have a Swaro Z5 on my Jackson Excalibur (what it was called before being named Timberline) and I have no complaints at all.

There are a few differences between the Timberline and the Jackson Hunter (synthetic stock) or Jackson Game (wood stock) which are both still offered, see link below:

1. No monte carlo style cheekpiece protruding on the left side of the stock of the Timberline like you have on the Jackson stock. The Timberline does have a raised comb, but it only runs along the very center and top of the butt of the stock.
2. The receiver on the Jacksons are blued steel.....they are stainless steel on the Timberline.
3. The bolts, swivel studs, trigger guard, magazine, and magazine housing on the Jacksons are also all blued steel.....they are all stainless steel on the Timberline.
4. The knob on the bolt of the Jacksons is smooth.....the Timberline has an engraved grip ring around the bolt knob like you see on a Winchester M70.
5. Jacksons do not come with a muzzle break.......Timberline a muzzle break is standard.
6. Jacksons have a 22" barrel for short action, 24" for 30-06 sized cartridges, and 26" barrels for magnum calibers.....the Timberline has a standard 24" barrel length regardless of caliber.
7. The Jacksons do not have a palm swell.....the Timberline has a palm swell.

Scope recommendation would highly depend on type & range of hunting or shooting your going to be doing, along with budget.

As for CDS type of turrets.
They are fine IF you are planning on using one particular bullet, at a particular velocity, at a particular elevation range.

I'd rather stick with MOA (or MILs if that's your thing).
MOA is always MOA. MILs are always MILs.
Doesn't matter if you change bullets, velocity, or atmospherics.
I agree when you get the custom turret. You can also use the turret that comes on the scope and use it like a standard MOA dial. I'm doing that with a 3-15 on my .270. I will probably move that scope so once it finds a permanent home I will then get the custom dial.

There are a few differences between the Timberline and the Jackson Hunter (synthetic stock) or Jackson Game (wood stock) which are both still offered, see link below:

1. No monte carlo style cheekpiece protruding on the left side of the stock of the Timberline like you have on the Jackson stock. The Timberline does have a raised comb, but it only runs along the very center and top of the butt of the stock.
2. The receiver on the Jacksons are blued steel.....they are stainless steel on the Timberline.
3. The bolts, swivel studs, trigger guard, magazine, and magazine housing on the Jacksons are also all blued steel.....they are all stainless steel on the Timberline.
4. The knob on the bolt of the Jacksons is smooth.....the Timberline has an engraved grip ring around the bolt knob like you see on a Winchester M70.
5. Jacksons do not come with a muzzle break.......Timberline a muzzle break is standard.
6. Jacksons have a 22" barrel for short action, 24" for 30-06 sized cartridges, and 26" barrels for magnum calibers.....the Timberline has a standard 24" barrel length regardless of caliber.
7. The Jacksons do not have a palm swell.....the Timberline has a palm swell.

I said Jackson Excaliber. Not Jackson Hunter.

Although it appears there are still a few differences.

Last edited:
You ordered it custom? What is the wait time?

I have owned a Phoenix M54, Excalibur M52, and Jackson Hunter M54, but bought them all from retailers who had already ordered them. Curious what the turnaround time is, as well as your impressions of the Timberline? I like the palm swell, the newer trigger/safety, the stainless steel, spiral fluted barrel, and the muzzle break. I think that will be my next Cooper...

As for your questions on glass, I think Swaros and Coopers go together very well.....since you like to play with the turrets, you may consider the Z6 with the Ballistic Turret. Otherwise I have the BRH reticle on all mine because it's one less thing to fiddle with when the moment of truth arrives. Pick the closest crosshair and shoot your animal. They are very accurate with Swarovski's online calculator....you just need to enter your Muzzle velocity, Ballistic coefficient, bullet weight, and altitude.
They told me about a year to get the rifle. Kinda was hoping sooner but they can't get their materials in fast enough. Just hope its here before my hunts start next season!

They told me about a year to get the rifle. Kinda was hoping sooner but they can't get their materials in fast enough. Just hope its here before my hunts start next season!
Have you gotten it yet? What are your impressions? Did you take it on your hunts, and if so, how did it do? I am watching a couple of Timberlines in 280 AI....

Have you gotten it yet? What are your impressions? Did you take it on your hunts, and if so, how did it do? I am watching a couple of Timberlines in 280 AI....
I got my rifle the thing is unbelievable can make 1000 yard shots no problem and i have never shot well past 300. i can hit a 10 inch plate at 1000. it is everything i wanted in a rifle. it preformed flawlessly on 2 hunts already.

I got my rifle the thing is unbelievable can make 1000 yard shots no problem and i have never shot well past 300. i can hit a 10 inch plate at 1000. it is everything i wanted in a rifle. it preformed flawlessly on 2 hunts already.
Awesome. What scope did you end up going with?

I would get another vx5 3-15 or if you do alot of woods hunting, my 7mm mag wears a vx6 2-12 and my muzzleloader a vx5 2-10. The 2x with the vx5/6 series wide FOV is great for hunting in the thick woods.

I love those scopes. And knowing leupolds got my back if they ever have an issue. For what its worth, the regular (in MOA) CDS dial can be used for any load. What I do is mark on top of it with a silver sharpie the yardage hashes for every 50 yards after putting a rounds ballistics into hornadys ballistic calculator. You can clean off and repeat for as many loads as you like for "custom" cds dials for free. I prefer this over taping paper inside my scope cap.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Debbry64
Back