School me on steel shot

Brittany Chukarman

I'll be doing more duck hunting this Fall. Decoying and some jump shooting. I know nothing about steel loads. What shoudl I be using? Loads that kill without overdoing it.

I use 3" #4's the majority of the time. maybe #2's if I think I will be doing some pass shooting. But as far as brand, I've been going the cheap route and shooting Rio's. I've killed plenty of ducks and geese with them, and haven't noticed any real downsides.

I have been using Federal Black Cloud and Winchester Blind Side. I use #3s for early season woodies and teal and #2s for later season mallards and the occasional woodie. If I had to pick one, I would pick #2s as you can thump a goose with those as well. I used to use the cheaper versions and have seen a noticeable difference in performance, but the cheaper versions will kill ducks too. Just not quite as effectively. More ducks are dead when they hit the ground with Black Cloud and Blind Side in my experience. YMMV.

In general, I agree in that for the majority of my hunting career I have stuck with the basics (most of the time Kent Fasteel). However, since its introduction I almost exclusively shoot Federal Blackcloud specifically for the flitecontrol wad. I have patterned my shotgun with a bunch of loads/chokes and I get better patterns at greater distance with the flitecontrols for waterfowl, pheasants (on Waterfowl Production Areas), and turkeys.

If I was going to be doing some high volume shooting on decoying birds I would still shoot Kents, or something similar, but hunting pressured birds on public water/land it is worth it to me to have a little more range to capitalize on the opportunities I get.

I have been using Federal Black Cloud and Winchester Blind Side. I use #3s for early season woodies and teal and #2s for later season mallards and the occasional woodie. If I had to pick one, I would pick #2s as you can thump a goose with those as well. I used to use the cheaper versions and have seen a noticeable difference in performance, but the cheaper versions will kill ducks too. Just not quite as effectively. More ducks are dead when they hit the ground with Black Cloud and Blind Side in my experience. YMMV.

How did you do on Woodies this year? We have been hammering on them between Brainerd and Walker....

so-so. But we usually get a ton of them about this time. Our resident woodie hunting is only okay. It is those northern ducks that come down that can be out of this world. Reminds me I should go scout a bit!

Remember the snowstorm last year on Oct 11? Unbelievable hunting for woodies. Man was that fun!

I would agree with the above that the more expensive shells may have a better knock down power, but for the price......I'll shoot a few more shells to get that limit. I also believe that ones shooting ability has a greater influence than the type of shot you are throwing out there.

I will on occasion shoot the more expensive Hevi-Shot shells on my one goose trip a year. And I will say, they definitely pack a bigger punch.

Actually, you should let your shotgun tell you what is "Best"
Put it on Paper and test a few different brands.
Price is not an indicator of "Better" shells in your gun.
I would however get a full choke for better kills, all new chokes will shoot steel even in the full choke, shot density is very important, Never shoot past your effective range, steel slows very fast and the lost energy of it being lighter is crippled birds...

Just as important, if not more important, is velocity. "Speed kills" definitely applies to steel shot. I won't shoot anything slower tha 1550 fps. You need to step up a shot size too. I would advise using #2 or #3 shot for ducks and BB for geese.

The Montana Migratory Bird Regulations have a copy of the TOM ROSTER’S 2016 NONTOXIC SHOT LETHALITY TABLE near the last page. I'm sure you can find it by googling too. As others have mentioned, best to verify with personal experience.

I use Kent 3" 2's for mallards, black ducks, etc. If I saw 3's around more, I'd probably use them more. I use 4's for wood ducks, teal, etc. if I know that's what I'm getting into. Modified choke usually. And as Ontario points out, velocity is important for steel! It just doesn't kill like lead does, so you really do need to use larger, faster shot and while others might disagree, when I shoot and see the bird fall, I stop shooting at any other birds in the air. I follow that one down and if his head comes up when he hits the water, I shoot again. I hate losing crippled birds!

Just a reminder that steel generally patterns tighter than lead shot of the same size, and for the same weight of shot there will be more pellets than same weight of lead. (I'm told that skeet shooters use this factoid and choose to shoot steel, to increase pellet numbers, at relatively short distances)

The tightest "standard" choke that I will use with steel is a modified, which will shoot like a full using lead. One time I discovered that I had my turkey choke (extra extra full) with a plan to ambush geese coming off their roost. I walked back to the car to get the proper choke as I didn't want my barrel to explode in my face.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back