School me on rooftop cargo carriers

Many years ago I got a new car and went to my local bike shop for a yakima rack and the dude gave some sage advice (which I promptly ignored). "Do you like your car?" I said "yeah" and he said spend the money and put a hitch on it and use a hitch rack, otherwise you will scratch your car and likely drive into your garage. If I was trying to add some cargo space to a car I would use something like this as it would be much easier to load and not cost you 5+ MPG:

Also, that Yakima EXO system looks SWEET!

Many years ago I got a new car and went to my local bike shop for a yakima rack and the dude gave some sage advice (which I promptly ignored). "Do you like your car?" I said "yeah" and he said spend the money and put a hitch on it and use a hitch rack, otherwise you will scratch your car and likely drive into your garage. If I was trying to add some cargo space to a car I would use something like this as it would be much easier to load and not cost you 5+ MPG:

Also, that Yakima EXO system looks SWEET!
Looks cool, but the whole system with all the bells and whistles probably costs as much as the vehicle it is attached to.

Looks cool, but the whole system with all the bells and whistles probably costs as much as the vehicle it is attached to.
Agree that Yakima system is pretty high dollar. The first link is like $1k which isn't cheap but totally doable, says it will hold 4 carry on bags and more, which seems like a fair amount of stuff.

I have a Thule and it has worked really well. It has been awesome to go camping with the family! Definitely no leaking issues. I agree that you should keep total height in mind when choosing which model to go with. I bought mine used so the price was right, but I do wish I had a bigger model.
Mine is one of the long skinny design that was, I believe, designed to hold skis. It is slightly longer than my Jimmy's cab. Something to keep in mind for those: Load the front end light. Mine can develop harmonic wobble at 60+ mph if something heavy is at that end. Can't drive with that very long before cracks develop in the plastic.

My carrier hitch was orignally of tip up design. Don't buy one of those! Bringing a buck back to town I hit a bump and broke the hitch. Welds snapped where hitch bolts to frame. Those racks stick out too far from hitch and the leverage creates more pressure than they are designed to take. I cut out the hinge, moved the rack in next to the tailgate, and welded it together. Works okay now.

Be careful in parking lots with hitch carrier attached, especially to smaller vehicles. The added length is deceptive and can get you in trouble when turning in tight spots.

I would be wary of this Yamaha design. It puts twisting pressure on the hitch. Don't load it very heavy (not sure that's possible given the size of it).

and likely drive into your garage
No garage to drive in to. We live in a small house with a 1 stall garage that could maybe fit a geo metro. But yeah, if we could park in a garage, my wife would 100% smash it into the garage first day.

5F1A7D1F-0DE7-4E7F-A84B-A79BC8E61D9A.jpeg
I run a Thule Apline year round, mostly just throw soft sided bags and other seasonal stuff. Note the weight limit; in a pinch I stuffed mine with snow and a quartered out cow elk; broke the case but it still works fine.

Definitely not waterproof and hinge/lock is tricky when I’m stuffing it full. Wind noise is very noticeable.

Hitch + hitch rack from eTrailer is what I would get if my wife was more inclined to packing for road trips

I have this one ON my truck, works very well I did add a padlock rather than the key lock on it. On a truck, you want a rear opener. An SUV a side would be better.

truck-top-k.jpg
How much does it effect the mpg on your truck ?

I have both. Hitch racks are dirty. You'd need to add a storage box. I like my Thule rooftop but it's a bit long for my vehicle. Works okay because Jimmy is tailgate not hatchback. Open on one side only is fine. But mine has to be mounted on the passenger side of vehicle to access. One that opens on drivers side would be safer. And I could stand on the curb when loading. The carriers don't have to be centered on top of vehicle. To one side is fine.View attachment 267875
Does the puppy have a ''jacket'' ??
does it get strapped down too??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back