SCAM ALERT!!! BUYER BEWARE

This guy(Ericvgrath) hit Shooters Forum as well, so he's making the rounds.

I'm sure this is a, "Winner". Haha! It shows the opening post for the link when tapping this forums share tab however it links to the specific post by an "Honest" new member...

They wouldn't be around if the grass wasn't worth eating.

I’m sorry OP and hope you get some satisfaction. I wouldn’t have the desire or nerve to try to scam or cheat someone for anything. Some people really suck.

I want to tell all my fellow hunters of a recent experience I had online. Let me preface that I am in no way bashing this forum or any other.
A couple of weeks ago I posted on Hunt Talk that I was looking to buy a very specific item. Within a few days I received a direct
They pulled this on Rimfire Central a couple years ago. I escaped by the skin of my teeth and sent a warning like yours to the forum. I never heard of anyone actually being scammed. I think the moderators got on it right away.

I want to tell all my fellow hunters of a recent experience I had online. Let me preface that I am in no way bashing this forum or any other.
A couple of weeks ago I posted on Hunt Talk that I was looking to buy a very specific item. Within a few days I received a direct message from a new member of HT (first clue)(Ericvgrath) that they knew of a guy who had what I was looking for and I could contact them at a specific email address.
I contacted this person via email and they sent me pictures of exactly what I wanted. We exchanged a number of emails and came to an agreement. I agreed to send him payment via PayPal. His only stipulation was I had to send the money using "Friends and Family",(2nd Clue) not "Goods and Services". I didn't know this guy and I was uncomfortable with the deal so I backed out.

Let's fast forward a week or so. I get another PM from again a new member of HT(Dennis47). He tells me he has exactly what I am looking for, this time is asking $150 more. Like before he sent me pics of what he had. Holy Crap, wouldn't you know it they were the exact same pictures the first guy sent. Now I know both are SCAMS.

Then a couple of days ago I get another PM from another new guy, he says he has the exact item I want. Again I have him send me pics and the price. This time I get pics of a totally different item, not the same item pictured before. Now I am thinking there is a chance this might happen. We exchange a number of emails and I feel pretty comfortable and decide to pull the trigger.
His next email says...please use PayPal "Friends and Family".....RED FLAG!!!!

If you send funds using "Friends and Family" you are telling PP that you know this person and trust them. There is no payment protection. If you check "Goods and Services" the seller pays an extra fee for PP to guarantee the transaction.

If you use PayPal to buy something online, make sure to click "Goods and Services" or PP will not protect you from scammers.

Buyers and Sellers Beware!!!!
Thank you for that, I was not aware of the "family and friends" piece. Very interesting stuff.

It really is ridiculous how they manage to get scams everywhere. I happily haven't had any problems when buying or selling yet, but have seen plenty of the simple scams when selling on Craigslist.

A couple of weeks ago I posted on Hunt Talk that I was looking to buy a very specific item. Within a few days I received a direct message from a new member of HT (first clue)(Ericvgrath) that they knew of a guy who had what I was looking for and I could contact them at a specific email address.
I contacted this person via email and they sent me pictures of exactly what I wanted. We exchanged a number of emails and came to an agreement. I agreed to send him payment via PayPal. His only stipulation was I had to send the money using "Friends and Family",(2nd Clue) not "Goods and Services". I didn't know this guy and I was uncomfortable with the deal so I backed out.

Let's fast forward a week or so. I get another PM from again a new member of HT(Dennis47). He tells me he has exactly what I am looking for, this time is asking $150 more. Like before he sent me pics of what he had. Holy Crap, wouldn't you know it they were the exact same pictures the first guy sent. Now I know both are SCAMS.

Then a couple of days ago I get another PM from another new guy, he says he has the exact item I want. Again I have him send me pics and the price. This time I get pics of a totally different item, not the same item pictured before. Now I am thinking there is a chance this might happen. We exchange a number of emails and I feel pretty comfortable and decide to pull the trigger.
His next email says...please use PayPal "Friends and Family".....RED FLAG!!!!

If you send funds using "Friends and Family" you are telling PP that you know this person and trust them. There is no payment protection. If you check "Goods and Services" the seller pays an extra fee for PP to guarantee the transaction.

If you use PayPal to buy something online, make sure to click "Goods and Services" or PP will not protect you from scammers.

Buyers and Sellers Beware!!!!
Thanks for the heads up!

Back