Sausage stuffing: 1st timer

Jmnhunter

So last night was my first time stuffing snausage. Followed Hank Shaws snack snick recipe, Kobosaky or something like that. Any who, everything was going well, until, well the stuffing part which took some getting used to. After my first time, I have a few Q's

1.) The sheep casing I purchased were labeled as 20mm-22mm, so naturally, I tried using the 20mm stuffing tube in which I ended up breaking the casings and after some swearing and a beer, I downsized to the 13mm and all was good; so I'm assuming, whatever casing size you use, you use the next smallest tube?

2.) there was about 1/2lb of meat mixture leftover in the stuffer, anyone find a good way to use the leftovers?

I'm using a 5lb stuffer from Weston, natural casings from butcher and packer

I have made thousands of lbs of sausage a couple tricks are
1. Your meat mixture needs the correct amount of moisture
2. When you put your casings on the tube> bump the handle to allow a tiny bit of meat to get between your casing and the tube as you force the casings on the tube
3. Run water thru your casing & keep casings in water until you put them on the tube
4. Plastic tubes seem to be sticker than metal

I have made thousands of lbs of sausage a couple tricks are
1. Your meat mixture needs the correct amount of moisture
2. When you put your casings on the tube> bump the handle to allow a tiny bit of meat to get between your casing and the tube as you force the casings on the tube
3. Run water thru your casing & keep casings in water until you put them on the tube
4. Plastic tubes seem to be sticker than metal

thanks 88; does it pay to spray the plastic tubes with some cooking oil?

and should the tube size match the casing size?

thanks 88; does it pay to spray the plastic tubes with some cooking oil?

and should the tube size match the casing size?
I use all steel tubes but I know from friends asking about the casings sticking and they typically had plastic tubes. No need to spray tube, your meat has fat in it, when you put the sloppy wet casing on the tube keep bumping the handle so meat gets between the tube and the casings and you will not have a sticking problem. I don't honestly know my slim Jim/ meat stick tube size. I just always bought nature sheep casings when making sticks. Then when making ring bologna I use beef bung and for Fresh sausage use the natural hog casings. Gonna make 500 to 700 lbs of 85% pork & 15% beef sausage end of this month.

The Kabanosky is done after being dried in the crawl space for 3 days from Hank Shaws buck buck moose. Not too sure what to think of it, its greasy but it does state in the intro of the recipe that it resembles a slim jim so it makes sense.
Its good, but I think I would cut back on the fat next time.

The WI Red Brats are on the smoker right now, will try them for dinner tonight, those have about 45% fat in them, so we'll see, seems alittle high...

another question; made another batch the other day of one of Rinella's recipes. They looked great after stuffing and smoking; only thing is after I take a fork to them the meat comes apart from casing, almost seems like its loose although they looked perfectly stuffed.
Should I have used more ice water prior to stuffing?

I often leave sausages in the fridge to "cure" overnight before freezing. You may need to do a finer grind, more mixing, more fat, maybe needs some binder, Or maybe needs more moisture. Too many variables to know for sure since I've not made Rinellas recipe.

As far as “loose” sausage, I don’t know the other recipes I use my own, I add 1 cup of powdered milk and/or 20grams per 10lbs of sausage of corn sugar solids as a binder. The fattier the mix the less binder u need.
An as far as “oiling” the horn, I spray everything down w a thin coat of food grade mineral oil. Not only makes things flow smooth, it’s a life saver on clean up.
And as always, keep everything as cold as u can

There are tons of variables ur playing w when making sausages (dry/fresh/smoked) salamis, etc..... relative humidity, ambient temp, temp of the product and gear, fat content, grind size of the product, to name a few. I’m sure there is some fancy formula out there that takes it all in to count. Me personally it’s just trial n error, being taught well by family, n knowing the “feel” of what ur working w
Have fun w it, experiment, n like my grandfather said, “in the end it all makes a turd”

Just out of curiosity, are you the one who makes it for everybody and shares? That's a lot of sausage!
Sorta, its an ethnic thing sorta> but some family and friends we make it at my house in the garage. About 15 years ago we butchered 6 elk one day in my garage.

On your last tub of meat you are stuffing - place a piece of wax paper over the meat and put a very thin towel or paper towels over the wax paper then proceed to move the piston down. You will still have a small portion of meat on the bottom of tub but no where near a 1/2 lb.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back