Caribou Gear

Sandhill Crane

Scout78

Hello, new to this forum and looking for some good and helpful feed back! I was drawn for the Southwest Sandhill Crane hunt for October and this will be my first draw/hunt in New Mexico since moving here a few years ago (also my first Sandhill Crane hunt). I would appreciate any advice, tips, and or knowledge, about where the best, or good spots in this region would be to hunt and camp. Would also appreciate any information regarding calls, decoys, or other methods used for attracting these birds to the ground.Thank you and good hunting!

Welcome! Ive never bothered with calls or decoys for crane. The best way ive found to hunt them is locate their roost and SNEAK in before sunrise. Once the sun comes up they'll all leave the roost and if you're in the right spot they'll fly right over you. Always fill my limit about 2 minutes into shooting light. Good luck!

Welcome! Ive never bothered with calls or decoys for crane. The best way ive found to hunt them is locate their roost and SNEAK in before sunrise. Once the sun comes up they'll all leave the roost and if you're in the right spot they'll fly right over you. Always fill my limit about 2 minutes into shooting light. Good luck!
This

I have never hunted New Mexico, but the aforementioned by dwating works, we also do use decoys and blinds. You will enjoy the meal for sure and just in case you do take a dog. If you have a wounded crane in the field, do not, let your dog anywhere close to it. A wounded crane can and will injure a dog . Best of luck to you

Send me a pm, I was stationed at fort bliss for a few years and did some waterfowl hunting around the southwest part of NM.

We call them into our goose decoys in canada. I've also had them do the same thing here in montana, never could shoot here though. If you can find fields they are using heavy, goose decoys will get them in range.

Awesome! Thanks for the info, I'll definitely try this.

Anyone here have any experience with Sandhills in eastern Idaho? I’m over near Boise and haven’t explored that far east yet, but I’ve been eyeing a couple tags in the bear lake area.

I have never hunted New Mexico, but the aforementioned by dwating works, we also do use decoys and blinds. You will enjoy the meal for sure and just in case you do take a dog. If you have a wounded crane in the field, do not, let your dog anywhere close to it. A wounded crane can and will injure a dog . Best of luck to you

I second what Panda said about dogs. We wounded a crane and the dog got to it before we could (it landed across a creek). The dog got it's tail whooped pretty good before we could finish the crane off. They're surprisingly tough birds.

If you're going to sit and wait for them to fly over, adverse weather (strong wind, fog and/or low clouds) sure help them come down closer.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back