Sample packs?

DamascusSteel

How do you guys reload sample packs for data? Do you load up a few sets like 3 rounds at 50gr 3 more at 50.5 etc... or just load up the whole pack looking for peak velocity.. also do y'all adjust seating depth or pick a seating depth that you trust with a similar bullet? I've been hesitant to buy sample packs for this reason. I know I'm probable over thinking it.

I shoot a one shot one charge ladder. Depending on the size of the cartridge .5g to 1g increments. I aim them all at the same spot to watch the target. Mostly looking to find pressure. Usually can find pressure in half a dozen shots or so and back off accordingly. Then load several there to test accuracy and es. At this point tinker if needed or zero and confirm drops.

^that

How many bullets are in a sample pack?

If it were 15 bullets I’d do the following:

Load 5 or 6 at different charges in big enough increments to where your top charge is probably a little too hot. Shoot them over a chrono and let the velocities and pressure signs tell the story.

Load the last 10 at a charge a fair margin below max and seat them 0.050” off the lands. Shoot a 10 round group to see if it is acceptable.

3 round groups aren’t statistically relevant in most cases.

Last edited:
^that

How many bullets are in a sample pack?

If it were 15 bullets I’d do the following:

Load 5 or 6 at different charges in big enough increments to where your top charge is probably a little too hot. Shoot them over a chrono and let the velocities and pressure signs tell the story.

Load the last 10 at a charge a fair margin below max and seat them 0.050” off the lands. Shoot a 10 round group to see if it is acceptable.

3 round groups aren’t statistically relevant in most cases.
15 in our sample packs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back