PEAX Equipment

SADDLE HUNTING BACKPACK

WATERMAG

I am looking to upgrade my backpack from my cheapy $20 wally world special to something that is more comfortable/versatile. I haul around 4 climbing sticks and a XL predator platform, and would like to be able to carry a quartered out deer at the same time if possible. Most my hunting is in farm country so not far hikes, with the exception of one annual trip where we can get 2-3 miles back.

I am looking for something that is somewhat compact and right now I am leaning towards the Stone Glacier Avail 2200. Does anyone have experience with this pack for saddle hunting?

I am starting to go cross eyed looking at all the different options. My top 3 choices were the MR pop up 38, Eberlestock X2, SG Avail 2200, with the SG currently at 1st.

Bonus point if anyone is near Western Ohio and we could meet up and try it out!!!! (wishful thinking)

Thanks

I use a popup 18. Where I deer hunt at deer have to come out whole.
That would be a load!! I cant imagine having a mature buck on there (mainly because I don't have the patients to let the medium ones walk by :oops:).

I have used an avail the last couple years. It’s well built and has some good organization built in. If you are just using a saddle I think it would be fine, especially if you aren’t planning to pack out the meat.

If you plan on packing meat or using a mobile tree stand at some point something with a shelf (like the pop-ups) would probably be better. I bought one last year and it made carrying the stand way better

I have used an avail the last couple years. It’s well built and has some good organization built in. If you are just using a saddle I think it would be fine, especially if you aren’t planning to pack out the meat.

If you plan on packing meat or using a mobile tree stand at some point something with a shelf (like the pop-ups) would probably be better. I bought one last year and it made carrying the stand way better
I only use a saddle and do not plan on using a stand. Worst case is I have to take two trips to get the meat out, which is no big deal for me.

I use a MR Metcalf. It works well. I use the lid in the tree and leave the pack on the ground. I am
looking to refine my system though. I am thinking of going with a Popup and giving that a try.

If you end up with the Avail, let us know how it works.

I use a MR Metcalf. It works well. I use the lid in the tree and leave the pack on the ground. I am
looking to refine my system though. I am thinking of going with a Popup and giving that a try.

If you end up with the Avail, let us know how it works.
I will let you know. They have a 30 day money back return so if I don't like the way it fits I can always send it back. Just hate not being able to lay my hands on something before buying it.

I’ve been using. Kuiu icon pro 3200. Hauls 1/2 mule deer, elk qtr. Even been on a horse moose hunting in BC.417E3EE5-E16C-42F6-957E-298B3A76E4C9.jpeg

Back