Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Saco/Malta, MT Mule Deer

RangerJack

I am planning a trip to North Eastern Montana and was wondering what anybody could tell me about the area (Hunting Pressure, Motels, Restaurants/Bars, Ranches that allow hunting?). I have done some research through cadastral and found a lot of BLM ground that looks awesome mule deer country. Is it better to hunt the north or the south side of Hwy 2? Making a long trip, not looking for a trophy deer but hoping for a main frame 4x4. PM me if you would like.

Thanks and good luck out there this year.

I am planning a trip to North Eastern Montana and was wondering what anybody could tell me about the area (Hunting Pressure, Motels, Restaurants/Bars, Ranches that allow hunting?). I have done some research through cadastral and found a lot of BLM ground that looks awesome mule deer country. Is it better to hunt the north or the south side of Hwy 2? Making a long trip, not looking for a trophy deer but hoping for a main frame 4x4. PM me if you would like.

Thanks and good luck out there this year.

Hunting Pressure - tons
Motels - a couple
Restaurants/Bars - a couple
Ranches that allow hunting - probably gonna have to pay to play

Is it better to hunt the north or the south side of Hwy 2 - flip a coin

Be easy on the dinks...

Hunting Pressure - tons
Motels - a couple

Be easy on the dinks...

This is correct. Lots of hunters. Motels look pretty full when I go through there in November.

Hunting Pressure - tons
Motels - a couple

Be easy on the dinks...

Looking to go north of Saco, close to Canada on BLM. I am sure there are fork horns and small 3's all around but what do you think the odds of shooting a 4x4 around there?

Might as well stop in the breaks if you're making a trip out of it. For the record, you might get more willing answers if you contribute to the forum instead of asking about a specific area on your first post. Hang out for awhile and you'll learn a lot.

Looking to go north of Saco, close to Canada on BLM. I am sure there are fork horns and small 3's all around but what do you think the odds of shooting a 4x4 around there?

Be aware of the fact that the area you are contemplating is now a CWD classified area and you can not remove any deer heads from the area unless the meat and brains have been removed.

Might as well stop in the breaks if you're making a trip out of it. For the record, you might get more willing answers if you contribute to the forum instead of asking about a specific area on your first post. Hang out for awhile and you'll learn a lot.

I have thought about going around Winifred south of the breaks. I hunted there once a while back but was with a family that owned a ranch.

I can't wait till the day that this state starts to actually smarten up and makes ALL mule deer hunting districts draw specific, and on a LE level. Then we'd actually have something. This free for all deer just doesn't work.

I would gladly wait for a decent tag and a good opportunity to harvest a good mature 6 plus year old mule deer. Vs. Pounding the boarder, making my own roads, pounding the breaks not seeing shit, or going to SE hoping for something to come off private every year.

If your lookin for meat shoot a cow elk. There's plenty

I can't wait till the day that this state starts to actually smarten up and makes ALL mule deer hunting districts draw specific, and on a LE level. Then we'd actually have something. This free for all deer just doesn't work.

I would gladly wait for a decent tag and a good opportunity to harvest a good mature 6 plus year old mule deer. Vs. Pounding the boarder, making my own roads, pounding the breaks not seeing shit, or going to SE hoping for something to come off private every year.

I've already shot a bull during archery this year. Just looking for a 4x4 main frame buck, nothing huge, to top the freezer off. Just thought I would ask around before I make the trip north.
You guys have been helpful, and I appreciate all the responses.

RJ

Totally agree, deer hunting is eastern montana (I live here) is terrible compared to what it should be. I haven't shot a deer in a few years because of it. Live off of cow elk and if I want deer meat I shoot a doe. As far as the original question there are places to stay but I would highly suggest calling ahead as the out of town traffic is high during hunting season. Any easily accessible public or private will have a ton of hunting pressure. Good luck

I've already shot a bull during archery this year. Just looking for a 4x4 main frame buck, nothing huge, to top the freezer off. Just thought I would ask around before I make the trip north.
You guys have been helpful, and I appreciate all the responses.

RJ
You obviously have no clue how restrictive harvest statewide would have to be for everyone to have a decent chance at a 6+ year old deer. Either that or you are fine with hunting once every 10 or 15 years. IMO there are much better ways to improve the age class of mule deer in MT. Starting with season length/timing. Pounding the boarder making your own roads isn't exactly using your brain to it's capacity.:)I have had a 270 tag and shot an 8 yo deer. Sorry I don't feel satisfied. My desire is to hunt, not to kill a trophy and move on to golf or bowling.

Personally, I would rather hunt 10 out of the next 10 years rather than maybe once. Below are age reports for deer that my family shot. The lowest scoring deer there was the 5 yo. The 4 yo deer were 160 -170. The 6 yo deer ranged from 170 to much higher. I had a fairly similar report 3 years ago. All OTC public. No bouncing off property lines, or boarders. It might not be impressive, but it is good enough to keep me interested. My point is....don't be a sheep and bitch because you are fed sheep food.

View attachment 116114
I totally agree with you on your example of season length and timing. Your thought process and mine are a little different on harvest I guess and that's fine. don't get me wrong I enjoy out as well maybe I am just a little more selective or haven't quite found what I was looking for just had a tag "burning" a hole in my pocket. My desire when I hunt deer is to find a good solid mature buck. With what's going on now those are pretty tough to come by. I don't care where you are. I totally agree the season length is ridiculous along with the timing. There's a lot of ways a guy can look at this, season's, draws, weapons restrictions, shutting out down prior to November 10 the list goes on. My examples I threw out earlier were a vague description of what I've witnessed out in the field.

Congrats on your 270 buck that's great sorry you weren't satisfied, I guess if you weren't happy why did you pull the trigger?

Here's some food back.....

Sorry I took that out of context, nice work on the buck though. In my first posts I should've been a little more specific with ideas over LE, I would wait but would hate to wait 10 to 15 years as well. When I used to hit it up north the general rifle season in the area was only 3 weeks. That gave a lot of deer especially bucks a longer lifespan. 2 years after they made it full term that area was game over. Even seemed like access changed a bit. Anyways I appreciate you calling me out on the deal there's more to the story than LE but something needs to change.

Reactions: LCH

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back