Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Ruger sr1911

Jasher

Anyone have one of these, shot one of these, or heard from there cousins uncles best friends brother in law about these? I'm looking to purchase one. I know the other Sr models are very reliable. My grandfather had a sr40 when I was young but sold off all his guns after columbine. He said he couldn't live with himself if someone broke in and used one of his guns to shoot kids.

Anyway any information would help. Thanks

Had one, it was ok, pretty middle of the road as 1911s go. I've been all over the 1911 map, finally landed on a Remington about 6 years ago, very happy with it except for the fact that it, like all 45s, shoots expensive ammo. I would thing the Ruger would be a fine selection, if you weren't looking to a Wilson or similar. I'd buy a dozen Rugers before I'd buy a Kimber.

Had one, it was ok, pretty middle of the road as 1911s go. I've been all over the 1911 map, finally landed on a Remington about 6 years ago, very happy with it except for the fact that it, like all 45s, shoots expensive ammo. I would thing the Ruger would be a fine selection, if you weren't looking to a Wilson or similar. I'd buy a dozen Rugers before I'd buy a Kimber.
Why is that?

My cousin has a Ruger, it’s not bad. I had a Kimber TLE for a while and really liked it, but I just wanted a more practical handgun.

I have one. It is a very solid pistol and a good value for it's price. The trigger is about what you would expect for a 1911 other than the upper-end match grade pistols that cost four times as much. The accuracy is better than average for a 1911. It is much better and certainly more reliable than the Kimber pistols that I have had, and a bit better than the low-end Colt.

Why is that?
The short story:
Bought a Pro-Carry.
Would not feed - using standard FMJ, nothing fancy. Not a single magazine full without an FTF. Multiple trips to the range, and consultation with gents I consider experts.
Sent it back for repair.
Kimber sent it back, told me it shot fine, I had to be limp-wristing for it to not feed.
Feed ramp looked like they gave a near-sighted eight-year-old a dremel tool, or cold chisel, to work the feed ramp.
Back to the range, it continued to not feed. Noses of the stuck bullets were getting messed up by the rough feed ramp.
Sent it back to Kimber, who then explained to me that I really didn't know how to shoot a 1911, and that the FTFs were my issue. Forgot to mention above, I bought some Wilson Combat magazines just to make sure it would not feed. It did not feed. Kimber sent it back, saying it shot fine.
Fine? Fine if one round per magazine was fine.
The shop that sold it to me took it back, refunded my money, and gave me a discount on a different pistol. Not store credit, a refund - he was in the middle of my issue with Kimber since he was the FFL doing the shipping and receiving.
Kimber later accepted the gun back from the dealer, and refunded his money.
Difficult customer service is bad enough, and when spending that much money on a pistol one should a) not have to use Customer Service with a return, and b) not be called an incompetent because one cannot make a broken gun run right. But the service was not courteous at any moment in the process, and made no attempt at helping but rather belittled me when I asked questions.
So, I did buy a Kimber Custom to replace the ProCarry, but sold that soon thereafter to purchase a different non-Kimber pistol. They converted me from interested Customer to a permanent non-Customer. I have known other folks with issues with Kimber's Customer service on other firearms. They don't need my business, which is fine with me.

I have a Ruger Night Watchman commander, and its been great. I've been through a few 1911s, and it's definitely my favorite. They are a great value, they come with Novak sights and some other nice features for a solid price. I put slim VZ grips on mine right out of the box, perfect set up for me.

I picked up one in 9mm for my wife. During the first 200 rounds it wouldn't make a full mag without failing to go into full battery with stock mags and some WC mags. The stock slide spring seemed pretty weak and the whole pistol shot sluggish. I got a WC flat wire 9mm spring and short guide rod for it and has no issues for the next 200 rounds. Seems more solid when shooting and goes into battery with no issues now. I would possibly buy another knowing I may have to tweak it to make it 100%

I've got one in 10mm that I paid $400 for from someone leaving AK and not wanting to deal with shipping/transfer fees. I like it enough to keep it around especially since 10mm was the last handgun ammo I could find after 9mm, 40, and 38/357 disappeared.

Back