Rubber Overshoes for Hunting?

I wouldn’t even think about wearing those things in the mountains. I watched a guy slip and and almost fall to his death in the crazies because of a boot like that
probably needed microspikes or full on crampons

Muck boots seem to be the standard. Do yours allow you to switch insoles? Thanks
If your hunting for more than a week the neoprene in the muck boots are likely to shred from hiking up and down the alder shrub zone every day. A high quality leather mountain boot would be a better choice. If your really worried about cold wet feet, stick a pair of bunny boots or arctic sport muck boots in your backpack and put them on when you get to a glassing location.

Last edited:
Muck boots seem to be the standard. Do yours allow you to switch insoles? Thanks
I'll check ... yes, insoles come out. I have Muckmaster model but you might want something with a bit less hard rubber like Wetlands model. Mine are designed for hard work (e.g. ranch). Wetlands are a bit lighter and maybe slightly more comfortable. If you're planning on primarily hiking vs sitting in a spot, I wouldn't get the arctic model. Heavier and might get too hot and sweaty.

Last edited:

In all my years hunting and trapping in steep, wet, and snowy, conditions, I found these to be the best. The Air sole is the key for great traction. I was wearing these when taking this photo and gives you an idea of the country.
View attachment 168031
I prefer the neoprene uppers of Muck Boits. Hard rubber uppers chaff my calves.

If your hunting for more than a week the neoprene in the muck boots are likely to shred from hiking up and down the alder shrub zone every day. A high quality leather mountain boot would be a better choice. If your really worried about cold wet feet, stick a pair of bunny boots or arctic sport muck boots in your backpack and put them on when you get to a glassing location.
Bunny boots would fill a normal size pack. Very bulky! Muckmaster model has hard rubber 2/3 up from sole. Also the neoprene upper is covered with a nylon fabric for protection. My boots have held up fine hiking every day for six weeks each fall in wild roses and Russian olive thorns. They last about three years in that punishment. A couple weeks in alders should be a walk in the park.

I would advise putting a couple extra pairs of socks in the pack and changing when you decide to sit for extended period. Feet will get sweaty.

I prefer the neoprene uppers of Muck Boits. Hard rubber uppers chaff my calves.
What is a Boit?

What is Hard rubber?

I don't even feel these boots on my calves. I feel leather boots more while wearing them then this model Lacrosse. I also wear these with a pant leg (layer) being tucked into the calf section of the boot. If you haven't, you should try it some time.

What is a Boit?

What is Hard rubber?

I don't even feel these boots on my calves. I feel leather boots more while wearing them then this model Lacrosse. I also wear these with a pant leg (layer) being tucked into the calf section of the boot. If you haven't, you should try it some time.
I only wear Muck boots with pants tucked inside ... unless I have wool pants pulled over jeans. Then the wool pants are on the outside with jeans inside the boot.

Hard rubber as opposed to neoprene. A boit is a typo ... obviously.

I'll check ... yes, insoles come out. I have Muckmaster model but you might want something with a bit less hard rubber like Wetlands model. Mine are designed for hard work (e.g. ranch). Wetlands are a bit lighter and maybe slightly more comfortable. If you're planning on primarily hiking vs sitting in a spot, I wouldn't get the arctic model. Heavier and might get too hot and sweaty.
The wetlands model sounds like what I need as long as the insoles come out like your Muckmasters do. I agree too much boot could sweat you out. The ratings on the Arctic are like -60f to 30f. Too much for Kodiak in October. The over shoes were just a thought. Probably not my best thought ever.

I only wear Muck boots with pants tucked inside ... unless I have wool pants pulled over jeans. Then the wool pants are on the outside with jeans inside the boot.

Hard rubber as opposed to neoprene. A boit is a typo ... obviously.
Muck Boots references the use of soft rubber. Probably the same as LaCrosse uses. Muck Boots make good boots but I did not see any available with the Air Grip that works very well for the wet elevation change climbing that the OP will be doing on his Kodiak Island trip. He will be up against some serious topograhy changes in a short distance.

If you really want an overshoe, you could look at Neos overshoes. You can wear a good quality light boot under, they're light and durable. I wear them all the time for work in all kinds of chit conditions Canada throws at me.

ANN1-Black_1-wlogo_142a9910-a9ad-42c2-8174-c9c01b7f6ffd_2400x.jpg

I’m sure you’ve seen pics, but just for reference...the pictures kind of don’t do it justice.

D9F5293A-011C-41FA-8C4D-E34FCA34A9C4.jpeg
The alders. These ones were 6-9 feet tall. This was the gentler part of the slope. It was much steeper and thicker down below.

B3DE1F9B-269C-41A7-B725-9FF8DAD8A3D0.jpeg
Looking up hill from where my deer fell, same vantage point as the previous pic. It was steep enough someone had to hold him in place while the other one butchered. I’m 5’4” and that grass was mostly as tall as I am, with some kind of viney stuff growing on the ground in a lot of places. Plus the devils club and other thorny plants. Pretty much tripping in tangled veg and sliding most of the time.

This is a far cry from a prairie pheasant hunt. Muck boots have their place, but I think they’re seriously deficient in ankle support, arch support and fit for this kind of hunting. I personally would have been in a world of hurt had I tried this in Muck Boots.

Ultimately, only you know what will provide the right balance of function and comfort for you. Whatever you choose, I hope you have a great hunt.

I’m sure you’ve seen pics, but just for reference...the pictures kind of don’t do it justice.

View attachment 168173
The alders. These ones were 6-9 feet tall. This was the gentler part of the slope. It was much steeper and thicker down below.

View attachment 168174
Looking up hill from where my deer fell, same vantage point as the previous pic. It was steep enough someone had to hold him in place while the other one butchered. I’m 5’4” and that grass was mostly as tall as I am, with some kind of viney stuff growing on the ground in a lot of places. Plus the devils club and other thorny plants. Pretty much tripping in tangled veg and sliding most of the time.

This is a far cry from a prairie pheasant hunt. Muck boots have their place, but I think they’re seriously deficient in ankle support, arch support and fit for this kind of hunting. I personally would have been in a world of hurt had I tried this in Muck Boots.

Ultimately, only you know what will provide the right balance of function and comfort for you. Whatever you choose, I hope you have a great hunt.
Good points—-sounds like you had a good hunt. Ours will be kind of an unguided hunt in that they drop us off and come back a week later. We can bring 60 pounds there with us each so weight is extremely important. They said it would be really steep and wet. They have an optional bear wire you can rent and put around your tent but I don’t think we’ll opt for that. I can’t wait! I sure hope travel is still possible in 10 months.....

Muck Boots references the use of soft rubber. Probably the same as LaCrosse uses. Muck Boots make good boots but I did not see any available with the Air Grip that works very well for the wet elevation change climbing that the OP will be doing on his Kodiak Island trip. He will be up against some serious topograhy changes in a short distance.
Yes, "soft rubber" better describes Muck Boot lowers. It is the stuff that typical garden type boots are made of. Those chaff my legs.

Good points—-sounds like you had a good hunt. Ours will be kind of an unguided hunt in that they drop us off and come back a week later. We can bring 60 pounds there with us each so weight is extremely important. They said it would be really steep and wet. They have an optional bear wire you can rent and put around your tent but I don’t think we’ll opt for that. I can’t wait! I sure hope travel is still possible in 10 months.....
Go with the bear wire if you can. It works! The setup can be bulky though. I lived and worked at Katmai NP for five months twelve years ago. I am familiar with the environment. I never thought Muck Boots would work in steep rocky country but they were dandy this fall hunting elk in the high country south of Dillon. Lots of wet snow. But I do have good ankles, thin build, and in good shape, especially for my age. Those Mucks were much better than my hiking boots. My feet never were cold even when sweaty. That said, I do think the very similar design Mudd Boot has a better tread. And they are available in half sizes for precise fit which is important for a boot with no lace up.

Good leather boots and bring a backup pair you can dry out or change out.

I. Not sure I'd wear rubber boots if you are doing much climbing. The schnees pack boots would be a decent choice as well

Bring a set of micro spikes.

Wet feet are the norm, just have to deal with it

I wear lacrosse alphaburley 800 boots everyday from November through April. While they are super comfortable I can’t imagine climbing the hills on Kodak with them. A good pair of mountain boots and gaiters is what I’d wear. Bring extra socks to change often.

I don’t remember who said it, but when we were preparing someone told us it was kind of like sheep hunting for deer, so that’s what we prepared for. It was decent advice. 😁

We were also unguided, but had a transporter who would drop us off wherever we wanted to go each day. Worked well as it had winter killed the year before so we could easily move each day if we weren’t finding sign. We did deer and sea ducks...one of the best trips I’ve ever been on in my life. Geez, I’m excited for you! I’d go back in a heartbeat.

Good leather boots and bring a backup pair you can dry out or change out.

I. Not sure I'd wear rubber boots if you are doing much climbing. The schnees pack boots would be a decent choice as well

Bring a set of micro spikes.

Wet feet are the norm, just have to deal with it
If I we're going this would've been the first person I would have reached out to. Follow his advice closely.

I have never used microspikes. Looking at them, I'm wondering if they aren't hard on the feet? They look uncomfortable. Or are they strictly a wear only as needed thing?

In the old days I wore Sorel caribou pacs when hunting elk in steep wet terrain. They worked "okay" but I found Mucks were much better. I didn't notice any difference in ankle support, although as I said, I have always had very strong ankles. For me keeping feet dry and warm is important. Though my legs are certainly strong enough, they suffer from poor circulation, especially the left one. It doesn't take much to put my feet out of commission, especially if I'm not moving.

I will admit to being skeptical about Muck Boots. My previous experiences with rubber boots were not good! I would never have bought Mucks. A few years back my daughter gave me a pair for my birthday. What the heck, I figured they might work for field hunting honkers and jump shooting ducks (I prefer to carry my shell decoys into the fields rather than drive out). They worked so well I decided to use them for pheasants and muleys. Mind you, it's not Rocky Mountain terrain, but some of the birds are in very rough country. A lot of up and down between coulees and draws. And always on the move. I only get two or three seasons before they're worn out but that is the average for an expensive pair of hiking boots ... or a cheap pair. I walk in them year round ... a LOT. The tread wears off. And as I said above, I wore the Mucks chasing elk in the mountains this fall. Brought along my hiking boots but we had a lot of snow opening day. They worked fine. Traction was sufficient and in very rocky ground I had no ankle support issues. But at my age (68) I go through that broken terrain more carefully than my younger years. Never stopped, all day, day after day. Those boots worked surprisingly well. I don't believe I put my hikers on once this past fall during six weeks of hunting. But the snow stayed and it never really warmed up.

In a situation like this where weight restrictions for gear is critical, dragging along a couple pairs of boots may not be an option. Drying out hiking boots at night may not be easy. Easier if they have removable liners but those might be overly warm for a lot of hiking. But something to consider. My Mucks dry out very quickly with my 110V homemade boot dryer. I'm sure they would dry out next to a campfire ... but very carefully.

Last edited:
If whatever you choose to wear doesn't have a good traction sole, you will regret it - period. Beaten down cow parsnip on a hillside is the origin of the "one step forward, two steps back" saying. Its as slippery as wet ice. Depending on the timing in October you could see tall grass (5-6' high) or grass laid flat by the wind, rain and snow.
Your weight limit of 60#'s pp seems light. What size plane is your air taxi flying? Example: a 206 Cessna usually has a weight limit of 800 lbs. That would = 2 hunters and close to 400 #'s of gear (total). A 60 # limit would seem to be a Cub(?) - not many transporters fly Cubs on Kodiak, that I am aware of. If you are flying in a Cub, you may need additional flights coming out, figuring on around 50 #'s of meat on a decent buck.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back