Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Round nosed bullets

Jack O'Conner

Back in the 1960's, my Dad (age 81) and all his buddies swore by the "old fashioned" round nose style hunting bullets. Lots of exposed lead. Dad said that these bullets always worked and he never felt the need to try a spitzer.

I've used many bullet types. Clearly, Hornady's SST in our .243 is more accurate that any thing I've ever loaded. The spitzer type certainly has a very high place in my use of hunting bullets.

Dad's old 300 Savage is a lot slower than our .243 and less accurate, too, but that never made him miss. Despite the "handicap" of slower bullets, Dad always killed whatever he was shooting at.

I'm of the opinion that the old round nose bullets are still pretty good. Perhaps even IDEAL in some situations.

What do you guys think?
Jack

Well I use 159 semi spitzer lapua more a roundnose I s'pose for reds and grunters in the heavy bush, and 129 horny flatbase for sika , chamois and goats on the tops in the 6.5x55 So yes they both have there place I believe.

What do I know I'm still hunting with my dads old .300 savage.
biggrin.gif

For hunting in the woods where shots are likely to be 100 yds or less, round nose work great.

Out west in Nevada and Idaho, spitzer boat tail please!

T Bone

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back