Rookie antelope question

mxracer317

Rookie antelope question! I just harvested two does today, first time!

Dropped the rest of the meat off at the butcher because I have no clue what I’m doing…

Kept the tenderloins… The question is do I freeze them or put them in the freezer to eat in 2 days? I don’t know if it’s better to eat right away, or if I should even marinade them in something?

Help! Don’t want to screw up these prize little cuts.

Congrats on your first antelope - some of my favorite meat.

Don’t freeze them! They’ll be great right away or in 2 days (in fridge). Just don’t over cook them…! I try not to cook venison steaks past 130F at most. Sometimes a bit less if I’m feeling froggy.

They're good fresh or frozen. Medium rare. S/P and butter. Hot pan. Some of the best meat out there.
I do the same with the round roasts on smaller animals like doe antelope as well.

Thanks for the feedback! Last question… do you guys turn your hams and shoulders to roasts?

I just did up the tenderloins from my first buck this year. They were vacuum sealed for 5 days in the fridge. No issues. I made a glaze with huckleberry jam, red wine, basalmic vinegar, and beef broth. Absolutely my favorite meal with antelope and my go to celebration meal.

Tendes should never be frozen.

I left one tenderloin and a back strap piece in my fridge for about 5 or 6 days one year and they turned out great. I don't think you need to worry about freezing them.

Both does were munching on alfalfa. I’m thinking the eating is gonna be good. 😋
Yes! I shot my first antelope last year and he was alfalfa-fed as well. I have freezers full of venison, elk, and antelope and I can safely say that the antelope is the tastiest.

If you are looking for a marinade mix, I like to marinade my antelope steaks in McCormick Grill Mates Montreal marinade mix for 6 hours or more. Man, that's some good stuff. (y)

I froze my tenderloins for a couple weeks before I reverse seared them. They were fantastic. I'm not sure how they could have been better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back