Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Rocky Mountain Oysters

WyoDoug

I am curious, how many of you have tried rocky mountain oysters from wild game? I had elk and they are quite good if cooked right. Most people overcook them things and ruin them. Domestic, I love both beef and pork but prefer pork.

Only have had domestic and I prefer pork.Local tavern has a "Hogs in Heat"
BBQ once a month during the summer.:cool:

I think I posted this in another thread.. but, bighorn sheep are by far the best of the N. American big game species, in my opinion. Oysters are all in the preparation.

I've had them from antelope and deer. Tastes like pork with the texture of calimari.

Something I should add for anyone who does eat any of the organs like I do, because of where organs are, it is very critical to get them cooled down quickly or they turn rancid rather quickly. The stomach begins to leach bile as soon as an animal is killed so if you do keep the oysters, liver, kidneys or other, you want to put in a plastic bag and put them on ice right away if possible, if not sooner. You also need to remove any glands or fatty tissue attached to them and drain as much blood as you can before you put them in the cooler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back