Waiting his turn to run brace
f9e7ecdf.jpg

3 buddies after day in field
f9edb6cc.jpg

stretching as far as possible without creeping on a running bird

f9e7faec.jpg

on point
f9d49c75.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-25-2004 09:41: Message edited by: quail hunter ]</font>

Good looking dog! Thanks for sharing. Though I've never hunted over or owned one, I just love the look of anticipation on the dogs faces when hunting or getting ready to.

Good looking dogs QH! What kind of Quail are those?
Question, I take it that your dogs are not to creep on runners. How do you keep from loosing the birds when they run off?
Ron

Fantastic pictures! GSP's are some beautiful dogs with a wide variety of color schemes. Love 'em, love ' em.

I'm gonna have to scan some recent photos of last weeks hunt and post them.

Thanks .....The birds are scale quail, and 2 gambles

Idaho Ron......Right now I've just started running him in Nstra trials.
In order to have high pointing scores the dog has to be a statue, so while training all summer if he creeped the bird was launched or he was set back.
I've been around him enuff now that when he points and the birds are running you can tell by his actions that the birds are'nt there anymore so I release him and he will track'im down again ,go on point, and after awhile the birds will finally hold, or my dog will blow right thru the middle of them. all depends on how irritated he gets.While I don't care much for this I have to smile a little as running birds are a pain in the ...... he's still a young dog and he and I gotta lot to learn about the bird game, but its been fun!!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-22-2004 08:51: Message edited by: quail hunter ]</font>

QH, The reason I asked is because I like to know how other dogs handle runners. I hunt a lot of Chukar. My pup will lock solid at first scent. When I get up to her she will start to relocate. If the scent is hot she will creep until she gets to 25 to 30 yards away from the birds. At that point she locks solid and will not move from there even through the flush. Once the shooting begins she goes after the dead. Ron

Phil, good thing you don't spoil your dog. Oh, who shot those quail for you? You couldn't have shot them yourself, could ya? I should buy some stock in Winchester shotgun shells. JK

Gambels,
I don't fire the gun anymore unless I'm lost, Rocket does all the bird getting now after getting disgusted with my shooting.
He points them, then flushes them, then chases 'im down and brings them back.
He does'nt get a whole lot of birds that way but he still brings more than I ever got shooting for him.
I carry the gun just to let him know we are on a hunt ,other than that its a good walking stick.
I just have to teach him how to clean his birds......

Sounds like my Lab Amos, Last week pheasant season closed, I took 22 shells into the field came home with 22 unfired shells and 4 birds. It was too wet for them to fly so he brought them back.

I was hunting about a month go with some friends and one bird stayed about 4 ft off the ground until it was out of range I told my buddy not to worry the bird would come back. and it did

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back