RIP, John Thompson

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

As for the sport itself, Mr. Thompson likened it to a fantasy, using the metaphor of a deflated basketball to drive home to his players what their life would ultimately consist of if they didn’t plan for a future beyond the game.

“Don’t let eight pounds of air be the sum total of your existence” was Mr. Thompson’s frequent refrain, and the cautionary words were displayed in the lobby of Georgetown’s McDonough Arena, where Hoya teams continued to practice well after he stepped down from coaching in 1999.

Great man and a great coach. Loved watching his teams play.

I figured he was older...he certainly imbued class and respect.

Last edited:
The big east 30 for 30 on ESPN has some great quotes from him. He was the perfect coach for the moment and time. Never minced words or rolled over for anybody.

Lute Olsen passed last week to. Coupke of greats of the game.

Thanks for mentioning Lute Olson. He is from the same small North Dakota town as my mother. One of my older cousins was a classmate and teammate of his until Lute's mother got a job in Grand Forks before his last year or two of high school.

While I never really rooted for Georgetown, it was obvious that John Thompson was a giant in every way.

May they both RIP. They did it the right way.

It certainly wasn't limited to Lute Olson teams over there Coug
No, it certainly wasn't. One had to find the lemonade amongst the lemons, one of which was being able to get front row seats to watch Sean Elliot dunk over one of the most uncoordinated 7 footers to ever take the court.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back