Caribou Gear

Rings n Things

CuttersAndRakers

I recently picked up a Sako a7 roughtech and am on the search for rings. Planning on putting on a Leopold vx3i 3.5-10 x 40 on the rifle. It is drilled in the same pattern as the a-bolt and comes with 2 piece aluminum picatinny bases, Sako recommended replacing the bases with steel bases when I contacted them.

I'm on the fence, thinking of picking up a set of Talley lightweights in low or getting steel bases and a set of warne maximas...see good things said about Burris signatures with dual dovetails too. Is there any reason not to just pick up the Talleys? Any benefit to going with separate rings and bases? Any other recommendations? Is this all sixes?

Thanks

My kid has a Steyr (same base as the A-bolt). I picked up some Talley lightweights and really like them. Problem is the bolt throw is a little high on the Steyr and won't clear the scope with the low rings. I'm going to have to go up one size and if you want to try the Talley's I'll sell them to you for $35 shipped. Let me know.

While many here in the States like the Talleys, our friends overseas are having issues with them.

It's really hard to go wrong with Warne.

My setups use EGW one piece bases, usually 20 MOA. The EGW are tall though, so low rings are acceptable on them.
My hunting rifles have Vortex Viper low rings for the most part. I have Leupolds on my Stevens 200 re-barreled to 250 Savage.
Target use gets Warne rings.

If I am not using an moa rail on a rifle, then I use talley one piece rings. I have them on a muzzleloader, magnum rifle, never had a problem with them.

I have Talley LW's on several of my guns, but ran into issues last year with them. I was at the range with my Rem. 700 in 300WM setting up for spring bear, when I notice a nice crack in the top half of the ring. I emailed Talley, and they wanted a picture of the issue, which I sent them. About two weeks later they sent me two new top halves, and I replaced the broken and unbroken one with the new ones. I have since been reading about this issue from several other Talley LW users. I am reluctant to go back to a Talley LW, especially living and hunting in griz country. I just replaced a pair of stripped out Tikka T3 rings last week with a set of Warne rings, and I am impressed. If you want to stick with the Talley style, check out the new Backcountry rings that Leupold now makes.

I have the talleys on my 7o8. I really like them and have not experienced any problems. I have the warne mt tech on my two long action rifles. The warnes are awsome and the rail gives you more adjustablity with the eye relief on the LA. The cost more but worth it in my opinion.

Those Leupold aluminum one piece Backcountry rings do look nice, and if they made them for the rifle I'd probably go that route.

I have Talleys on one Tikka and DNZ one piece on the other Tikka. I have not had any problems with zero changing on either despite hunting verty tough and brushy terrain and bouncing around in the gun boot on my ATV.. I like the DNZ a little better because they are one piece. That is my subjective opinion since I have not had problems with the Talley’s.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back