Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Rifle Stock Clearance

Losing_Sanity

My son's rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard with a factory black composite stock. Apparently there is pressure on the tip of the stock pressing against barrel. I gather this is by design. However, I noticed there is a shinny wear mark through the blueing approx 1/2" to 3/4" long. We have noticed that groups are not as tight as they used to be.

My questions are:
1) Is this a problem?
2) What would happen if I trimmed that part of the stock off?
3) Isn't free floating a barrel more accurate?
4) Can I just pillar bed the action and free float the barrel with this stock?

I appreciate all input. Thanks in advance!

Most rifles tend to shoot better free floated. You can sand the pressure point out and then bed the action. Shoot it and see how it groups then. If needed adding the pressure point back in is easy to do.

Rugers especially are known for some pressure in the forestock.
As for issues with a Vangard, been there done that with a first gen.
Nothing i tried made any difference.
Was the only rifle i was happy to let go.

I have a Vanguard in 7mm RemMag. I have never been overly happy with it. I replaced the Bell & Carlson Monte Carlo stock with a Boyd's Pro Varmint.
I bedded the action and floated the barrel as per Nathan Foster's recommendations.
I swapped the trigger out for a Timney which made a big difference.
It definitely shoots a lot better. I can get under 1" group with 150gr Federal Trophy Copper factory ammo.

But, is it consistantly better?
Daughter would do the 1 MOA as guarenteed by Weatherby.
For the first 3 shots.
After that groups opened up exponentially!
3", 9" etc...
Would only come back to 1 MOA after sitting for 24hr.

But, is it consistantly better?
Daughter would do the 1 MOA as guarenteed by Weatherby.
For the first 3 shots.
After that groups opened up exponentially!
3", 9" etc...
Would only come back to 1 MOA after sitting for 24hr.

Good question.

I would think it has to be more consistent if you eliminate a stock that has a tendency to flex with temperature changes.

My concern is that if this is/was a problem, why did they produce them that way?

I think I'm noticing this some with my Vanguard Wilderness. It seems to string vertical when the barrel heats up. Generally 3 shots are good, then the string g begins. Its frustrating, but I figured it must have to do with the barrel touching the stock.

I have a couple of Remington 700 SPS's with pressure point bedding that don't have this problem. Is this a Weatherby Vanguard issue?

Alas, i feel like mine was more a barrel issue, than the stock.
Even after trying all that i could with the stock, and letting 3 others shoot the gun with the same results.
I believe the bore may have been slightly off center. Allowing "warp" as the barrel heated.

Back