Research tools

Something else I have been using is www.gpshuntfish.com with an elite membership. It cost $30 for the year, and it is really useful so far in my "scouting". You can bring up bing or google aerial maps, hill-shaded terrain maps, topo maps. You can add POIs to it and then convert these for use in Google Earth or to .gpx files for use on your garmin. Something else I have been doing is using the drawing tools to outline units/ wilderness areas(for wyoming since I can't hunt them) and then converting these to a .kml file (which can be done directly from the website) to be used in google earth. It may not be the exact boundaries, but at least if I am looking at a particular drainage I know what unit it is in and whether or not it is in a wilderness area. There are also tools that mark public land, and forest service roads. Sure I could find the resources to do this probably for free but it sure makes it quick and easy to already have all of that info at your finger tips. For an out-of-stater, I think it is important to know some of these areas by name when you are talking to a game biologist or ranger. Seems like so far I have gotten better information from the biologists in areas where I have taken the time to learn something about the geography.

+1

I think it's tough to beat this site when looking at unit boundaries and public land.

I paid for hunters trailhead last year, and I think I'm going to let it expire this year. He's not exactly Johnny on the spot about updating it, so I end up using the state sites more anyways. I've also never been able to get the hunt filter to work on the site, and the site won't work on my phone either.

I've never paid for the HT information, but I remember when it was available here and on MonsterMuleys for free.

The odds weren't always correct the way I look at them.

I prefer to get the data from the state's websites and load it into an excel spreadsheet myself. I feel that I get a lot more accurate representation of the true odds doing it that way. Especially states like New Mexico that look at all 3 choices on each application before going to the next application and states like Nevada that has bonus points.

Why pay for something that is available for free? Especially when you can be a lot more confident it is accurate by doing it on your own.

One good tip I read somewhere was to get good maps and then draw a line around what would equal about 1 mile from every road and a 2 mile radius around every trailhead. After you do that, you can see which areas of the unit are a fair distance from any access point.

For me, I feel like I've got a really good grasp on each state's lottery system and a pretty good idea of the better units. In the future when researching new units, how would my time best be spent? I spend a fair amount of time looking draw odds, looking at Google Earth and gpshuntfish but feel like maybe my time would be better spent calling and talking to game wardens and biologists. Thoughts?

I'm about to start getting into the points game with other states. So this post interested me immediately. I went to the HT website first. Just to check accuracy and usefulness, I clicked on the run down of Idaho's system (as I already know the regs like the back of my hand).

The first thing I noticed was that their latest update on all of the states' prices are from 2008... luckily Idaho's prices haven't changed since that time if I remember right. But it might mess some NR's up with their budgets for applying in the other states that have had price changes since 2008. +1 on what Randy11 said.

Ladies and Gents,

First off, I need to introduce myself. I am the designer and operator of HuntersTrailhead. I really appreciate Randy making this post of his own accord. I have worked with him off and on for several years now and look forward to future opportunities with him.

I have not posted much here, but have been a lurker off and on for quite a while. I just wanted respond to a few comments made in this discussion. I am certainly behind in getting the state draw systems updated. That is a system that I either need to update or take down and updating makes the most sense. However, the drawing odds, hunter success rates, application rates, etc which have been my priority, are as current as they can be at this time. A few states still need to be updated to include the 2013 data, and they will be as soon as possible. Oregon is very close to being ready, I have a few issues with the Montana system but I'm working through those and plan to have them updated soon. Nevada has not released their 2013 application numbers yet but I will get on that as soon as they do.

I really appreciate the positive comments that have been made already and hope that anyone that decides to join based on Randy's comments find the system very useful and informative. A ton of work goes into this system and it is all worth it when I see the pics of successful hunts that HuntersTrailhead helped make a reality.

Good luck to all in the drawing this year.

Jon Crump

Ladies and Gents,

First off, I need to introduce myself. I am the designer and operator of HuntersTrailhead. I really appreciate Randy making this post of his own accord. I have worked with him off and on for several years now and look forward to future opportunities with him.

I have not posted much here, but have been a lurker off and on for quite a while. I just wanted respond to a few comments made in this discussion. I am certainly behind in getting the state draw systems updated. That is a system that I either need to update or take down and updating makes the most sense. However, the drawing odds, hunter success rates, application rates, etc which have been my priority, are as current as they can be at this time. A few states still need to be updated to include the 2013 data, and they will be as soon as possible. Oregon is very close to being ready, I have a few issues with the Montana system but I'm working through those and plan to have them updated soon. Nevada has not released their 2013 application numbers yet but I will get on that as soon as they do.

I really appreciate the positive comments that have been made already and hope that anyone that decides to join based on Randy's comments find the system very useful and informative. A ton of work goes into this system and it is all worth it when I see the pics of successful hunts that HuntersTrailhead helped make a reality.

Good luck to all in the drawing this year.

Jon Crump

Thanks Jon. You can thank Randy for my $25 tomorrow as I'm signing up to check it out.

Jon,

I have been a subscriber to your site for the past 2 years. Thanks for the great site and the great info. The maps, success rates and land ownership for each unit is a huge help.

I signed up yesterday thanks to this thread.
Heard of it before but never really checked it out until now. ANY info is worth $25...
Thanks Jon.

I like the HF for the information related to applying and rules changes in each state. Saves a lot of time, and sometimes transfers the information into understandable english instead of the legaleze that the state provides.

As soon as HT switched to pay per view, I made my payment, really like the setup he has on the points required to draw a unit. That alone tells you a lot.

Both serve a purpose, and I find both worth the price.

I signed up for HT earlier this week. Started playing around and the next thing I know 2 hours have gone by. Whoops!

I have been a member of Hunters Trailhead for a about a year ! Good place and will only get better as it grows and receives feedback from hunters.

Thanks for the great post Randy! I wish I had started building points across the west and researching earlier than I did but then I would've probably failed college ha! It is ADDICTING!!!!!! I will be looking into HT for sure!

ive been subscribed to hunters trailhead 2 years now and it is a great help on your hunt app searches in many states.thanks Jon ,

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back