Replacement scope caps

Irrelevant

I have an old Bushnell Sportview 3-9 x 40(? might be 38) scope that came with my grandfathers .300 Win. Somehow he lost the windage and elevation caps and still kept hunting with it. I would like to get some replacement caps. I called Bushnell but they were of no use. The scope is from the 80's and they don't have exact measurements on anything they do have, so I couldn't give them then diam and see what they have that might fit it. Anyone have any ideas on where to get some?

Last edited:
No clue, one shot in the dark would be to either have someone with as machine shop cut some for you. Or 3d print for plastic version?

Just a thought

I have an old Bushnell Sportview 3-9 x 40(? might be 38) scope that came with my grandfathers .300 Win. Somehow he lost the windage and elevation caps and still kept hunting with it. I would like to get some replacement caps. I called Bushnell but they were of no use. The scope is from the 80's and they don't have exact measurements on anything they do have, so I couldn't give them then diam and see what they have that might fit it. Anyone have any ideas on where to get some?
What is the product number on the scope? I may have the same scope in a bucket.

Korea…might not be quite as good as you think. If you haven’t moved those knobs in a while, I wouldn’t recommend doing it. It’s possible that the scope works just great, but it’s also possible that the grease inside has kinda stiffened up from age, and that it’s “frozen” in place where it was sighted in, but that once you start dialing around, it won’t hold zero as well as it does right now.

There are some cheap Sport Views on eBay. It would not surprise me if the caps from a 4x32 would fit, but there’s only one way to be certain.

Last edited:
Korea…might not be quite as good as you think. If you haven’t moved those knobs in a while, I wouldn’t recommend doing it. It’s possible that the scope works just great, but it’s also possible that the grease inside has kinda stiffened up from age, and that it’s “frozen” in place where it was sighted in, but that once you start dialing around, it won’t hold zero as well as it does right now.

There are some cheap Sport Views on eBay. It would not surprise me if the caps from a 4x32 would fit, but there’s only one way to be certain.
Again, thanks for the info. My comment about "good" was mostly it being better glass quality than either my Leupold or Redfield and that it still consistently holds zero. My grandfather never bought anything real nice, in fact I think he picked this up because someone couldn't pay their bill.

I saw those on ebay too. There's also lot on gunbroker for a similar price. I was leaning that way then at least I have a couple of options.

Again, thanks for the info. My comment about "good" was mostly it being better glass quality than either my Leupold or Redfield and that it still consistently holds zero. My grandfather never bought anything real nice, in fact I think he picked this up because someone couldn't pay their bill.

I saw those on ebay too. There's also lot on gunbroker for a similar price. I was leaning that way then at least I have a couple of options.
I’m surprised a model made in Korea had better glass than an older Leupold, but not so much an old Weaver or Redfield. The scopes from Japan in that era were dirt cheap, but had really good glass in them.

best scope caps I ever had I made from an old tire inner tube. Cut across the tire about 2 1/2" strip and works great!

I’m surprised a model made in Korea had better glass than an older Leupold, but not so much an old Weaver or Redfield. The scopes from Japan in that era were dirt cheap, but had really good glass in them.
It's better glass than my vx3 I bought new two years ago.

It's better glass than my vx3 I bought new two years ago.
Something is fishy with that VX3.

Higher power, and more lenses both decrease clarity and brightness, so if the VX3 was high enough powered to have side focus, it has an extra lens, and it’s more powerful than 3x-9x, BUT STILL, I’m very surprised to hear that a variable power scope made in Korea in the ‘80s is even remotely comparable to a modern scope from a decent manufacturer, even if a VX3 probably doesn’t use the best glass Leupold buys. The 3.5-10X VX3i that I have has great glass.

Are you comparing them on equal power? If so what are you looking at? If the old Bushnell really does look clearer or higher resolution, I feel like something is wrong with that Leupold. That said, Bausch and Lomb made really fine stuff, and I wouldn’t have been terribly surprised to hear that a B&L made scope from Japan was pretty good. Perhaps their stuff manufactured in Korea was just as good. Generally that’s not the case with newer scopes.

If you had said that an older Japanese 4X had glass as good as your modern high powered Leupold, I would have said that’s because it’s easy to make things look good at 4X, a fixed power scope has a minimum of two fewer lenses than a variable with side focus, and Japanese glass has been as good as anyone’s for decades.

The 3.5-10X VX3i that I have has great glass.
So that's the same one I have and at 5x middle of the day the edge to edge clarity is so much better in the Bushnell. I haven't done a ton of comparisons so I can't speak to higher power or low light. Since the Bushnell is a x32 I would imagine it loses at low light. My older weaver k4 wasn't at good as the Bushnell.

I just threw away one of these with caps like three days ago. The power ring didn't want to move so I just tossed it. Woulda sent it your way free of charge.

Edit: I was going to dig it out of the trash but it ran yesterday apparently.

Last edited:
I just threw away one of these with caps like three days ago. The power ring didn't want to move so I just tossed it. Woulda sent it your way free of charge.

Edit: I was going to dig it out of the trash but it ran yesterday apparently.
no sweat. I appreciate the thought.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back