Caribou Gear

Repairing the black finish on aluminum parts (guns and bows)

Stay Sharp

Not every restoration I do is a complete tear down of a hopeless case. This is a good example. I picked up this 1961 Ted Williams model 34 Sears and Roebuck, 22 semi auto at an estate sale for $40. It was a great find with the original sears scope and vintage Sears gun case and looked like it hadn’t hardly ever been used in its 50+ years on the planet.

ted1_zps26d9b69b.jpg

The gun has an aluminum receiver and like all aluminum parts, the anodized finish on the high spots or sharp edges has worn through to shiny aluminum.

ted2_zps32124509.jpg

ted5_zpsb602e7ec.jpg

ted8_zpsfc9b1f83.jpg

If you haven’t tried aluminum black, you should. Like gun bluing, it’s a wipe on, wipe off product that works very well.

ted3_zps6a6ca583.jpg

Clean the areas with acetone or denatured alcohol and then with a swab, apply the black.

ted4_zpsf66c0ef4.jpg

And this is what you end up with after 3 or 4 applications.

ted7_zps60dcf406.jpg

ted6_zps938e66e1.jpg

ted9_zpsd1e5f86e.jpg

As long as I was at it I grabbed a piece of aluminum stock from the shop and gave it a brushed finish to show the coloring.

ted91_zpsbb14d673.jpg

ted92_zpsef2df093.jpg

ted93_zps3d7eea49.jpg

Like bluing, its good to polish the metal because aluminum black and gun bluing both etch the polished metal making the final finish less than polished when you are done. Since still photos make it hard to see the real effects of this etching, here is a video of how the gloss is etched away and you can compare the surface finish of the metal next to its polished self. The black makes the surface finish more of a matte finish. When finished, apply paste wax and buff your gun to a shine. (this offers additional protection and makes the gun look great)

Lastly since everyone will care about the durability of this finish I took steel wool to the sample and buffed the hell out of it in what would be considered outight abuse to a gun. Here is the result of that abrasion excersise.

ted94_zps8b71af44.jpg

Repair those glossed over edges. It couldn’t be easier.

There are a lot of uses for such a product. If your a bowhunter, lots of archery related parts are made of aluminum. Use your imagination. Sometimes the use might simply be "because I can" and thats ok too. Such as aluminum cartridge casings.

ted95_zps63df0365.jpg

ted96_zps1444930c.jpg

If you have aluminum you need to blacken, this product works great and is far better than a sharpie marker since it blends perfectly with anodized parts where as a sharpie leaves a shiny look that is too black and comes off far to easy.

Now that sounds pretty good. I redid some aluminum trigger guards years go. used flat black Rust Olem and it worked pretty good.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back