Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Removing Horns from a bighorn deadhead?

My texas dall I did a euro of I boiled/simmered the skull for 3-4 hrs and then let the horn sit in the boiling water for about 20-30 minutes (line the pot so they dont get burnt) and then popped them off with a rubber mallet. Just hit them at the base of the shalth and if they are ready they will pop off, if they dont put them back in for a while and try again.

Attachments

• 281454475_10222187843629631_4206752042567103230_n.jpg
    281454475_10222187843629631_4206752042567103230_n.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 5
Take a stiff knife or screwdriver and try to seperate the horn from the skull a little, then spray some water in the crack, wrap in a garbage bag and set in the sun for a week or two. Then throw it on sheet of plywood or on the lawn. A big dead-blow hammer with a piece of 2x4 for padding also helps.

id be more worried about my wife finding out haha

I used to have a big pot to boil skulls in my back yard. One time we were gone, and my neighbor was watching my house. They borrowed my pot to cook up a bunch of crabs. :D I never told them what the pot was really used for.

Take a stiff knife or screwdriver and try to seperate the horn from the skull a little, then spray some water in the crack, wrap in a garbage bag and set in the sun for a week or two. Then throw it on sheet of plywood or on the lawn. A big dead-blow hammer with a piece of 2x4 for padding also helps.

I used to have a big pot to boil skulls in my back yard. One time we were gone, and my neighbor was watching my house. They borrowed my pot to cook up a bunch of crabs. :D I never told them what the pot was really used for.
I use the 5-7gallon galvanized tubs from the farm store. Heat them with either the side burner on the grill or a fish/turkey fryer burner.

Microwave works great as well if you can get it in there
My taxi tried this with a sheep I took in HI. and it actually boiled weird bumps in the horns so be careful. He normally did the same with antelope and had no issues. He had a lot of work to fix that mess, ended up burying the head and getting the horns off, then he had to drill out the damaged areas and replace damaged material.

@GrantK - You get to the project yet? What worked for you?

Alas, my microwave is too small and the warm sun left my part of Montana weeks ago.

@GrantK - You get to the project yet? What worked for you?

Alas, my microwave is too small and the warm sun left my part of Montana weeks ago.
I was able to get the horns off just by dropping them on concrete a couple of times, apparently procrastinating long enough loosened them up to the point that worked?
I should get to boiling and cleaning up the skull in the next couple weeks, I'll post up pictures when I'm done...

I was able to get the horns off just by dropping them on concrete a couple of times, apparently procrastinating long enough loosened them up to the point that worked?
I should get to boiling and cleaning up the skull in the next couple weeks, I'll post up pictures when I'm done...
If procrastinating works mine will probably pop right off on their own.

That is, whenever I finally go down to the basement to mess with it.

Back