Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Remington 40x Action

MT_Chad

Hey guys, I found a remington 40x left hand stripped action for sale. It says it is a repeater and is for a 223 rem. From my reading the 40x is dimensionally the same as the 700 and is a short action. Everything says that it takes the same trigger and stock as a standard 700 as well. If this is all correct here are a few more questions.
Since this is a stripped action, I'm assuming I can order a 700 bolt from Pacific tool?
My understanding that a model 700 short action reciever is the same regardless of chambering, only the bolt face is different. Is this correct?
My end goal is I would like to build a custom left hand rifle in a 243. I could buy a brand new complete stainless action for about 200 more.
What say the hunt talk crowd?

Pretty positive the 40X repeater is the same as a m700 dimensionally. Being a 223 you would probably have to file/stone the feed rails a bit for it to properly feed a 243. The PTG 1pc bolt is a nice bolt and available with a lot of upgrades. You can also get them in various diameters to better fit your action.
If the 40X was cheap enough it might be worth it to buy it and get the PTG bolt.

I think all of your assumptions are correct. I'd bet you're about even on money buying a bolt to put into this action. If you went with a stock that allowed a centerfeed magazine you'd likely not need to do any work on the action for it to feed. Depending on price of reciever, bolt, trigger, you might be better off buying a LH rifle and selling the parts you don't want, or even giving them away.

Buds guns has LH 700 actions for sale, but only long action.

The 40X is the same but has been trued/blue printed at the custom shop. If you found it at a good price I would jump on it.

Pretty positive the 40X repeater is the same as a m700 dimensionally. Being a 223 you would probably have to file/stone the feed rails a bit for it to properly feed a 243. The PTG 1pc bolt is a nice bolt and available with a lot of upgrades. You can also get them in various diameters to better fit your action.
If the 40X was cheap enough it might be worth it to buy it and get the PTG bolt.
Thanks, that was pretty much what I was thinking. The stripped 40x is 300 bucks, I'm up in the air if it is worth it or not. The other strike against it is it isn't stainless, for the right price I could let that go, but I do prefer stainless.

I think all of your assumptions are correct. I'd bet you're about even on money buying a bolt to put into this action. If you went with a stock that allowed a centerfeed magazine you'd likely not need to do any work on the action for it to feed. Depending on price of reciever, bolt, trigger, you might be better off buying a LH rifle and selling the parts you don't want, or even giving them away.

Buds guns has LH 700 actions for sale, but only long action.
Yeah, those stainless long actions were the ones I was looking at getting besides the 40x. The problem with all left hand guns of any manufacturer is the caliber selection and availability of stainless. These Remington stainless bare actions is the best way I have found to build the rifle I really want, I was curious about the 40x since I have never seen a left hand one before and thought it might be kind of cool.

I'm talking myself into that 700 long action. If I go that route, I will probably build a 6.5x284 or a 6.5 swede.
Thanks for the input guys, if you think of anything else keep it coming.

Thanks, that was pretty much what I was thinking. The stripped 40x is 300 bucks, I'm up in the air if it is worth it or not. The other strike against it is it isn't stainless, for the right price I could let that go, but I do prefer stainless.
If you prefer stainless then hold out for stainless otherwise you'll never be fully happy.

Last edited:
If the 40X really is nothing more than a 700, what would a 700 action cost with the bolt already there? What would new bolt run for the 40X? Years ago I had a desire to own a 40X but I anted the whole rifle. If you start with just the action and no bolt seem's to me unless money don't matter a 700 is the way to go. Have only ever seen one 40X and in my mind it was really nothing special other than the finish work to make it shoot!

Like your like of the Sweed, Then I have a mod 70 in Sweed. For whatever reason the 284 case never turned me on much. How hard is it to find case's? I have a 700 in 6.5x06 and love it. Case's very easy to come by!

Yeah, those stainless long actions were the ones I was looking at getting besides the 40x. The problem with all left hand guns of any manufacturer is the caliber selection and availability of stainless. These Remington stainless bare actions is the best way I have found to build the rifle I really want, I was curious about the 40x since I have never seen a left hand one before and thought it might be kind of cool.

I'm talking myself into that 700 long action. If I go that route, I will probably build a 6.5x284 or a 6.5 swede.
Thanks for the input guys, if you think of anything else keep it coming.
For building a rifle, especially a LH rifle, I'd look towards a custom action.

Or a smaller company that makes LH rifle like Christianson Arms. If one of their LH models meet what you want it'll likely be easier/cheaper than building one.

I would pass on a bare action for $300. Also a 40X repeater and M700 are the same from the factory. 40X are not trued or blue printed. The Remington Custom shop does not true actions.
What’s your budget? I would recommend building exactly what you want and will be happy with. The 243win is a very fun and capable cartridge especially when setup properly.

If the 40X really is nothing more than a 700, what would a 700 action cost with the bolt already there? What would new bolt run for the 40X? Years ago I had a desire to own a 40X but I anted the whole rifle. If you start with just the action and no bolt seem's to me unless money don't matter a 700 is the way to go. Have only ever seen one 40X and in my mind it was really nothing special other than the finish work to make it shoot!

Like your like of the Sweed, Then I have a mod 70 in Sweed. For whatever reason the 284 case never turned me on much. How hard is it to find case's? I have a 700 in 6.5x06 and love it. Case's very easy to come by!
Brass is definitely harder to find than the common stuff, the 6.5x284 and the swede are probably about the same as far as difficulty to find. Swede brass is surprisingly cheap from Norma for some reason. I have thought of a 6.5-06, it is a little to wildcat for me at this point, I know a few companies make 6.5-06 brass, but I really would prefer something easier to get with the proper headstamp.

For building a rifle, especially a LH rifle, I'd look towards a custom action.

Or a smaller company that makes LH rifle like Christianson Arms. If one of their LH models meet what you want it'll likely be easier/cheaper than building one.
I've looked at Christiansen, but their offerings are limited in left hand. Their 243 is only a 10" twist and the only 6.5 offering of any interest is the manbun, which is a far 3rd place for me to the swede and the 284.
You do have me shopping custom actions, it has been a while since I looked and the market is improving for left hand actions at a less than insane price. It's not stainless, but the bighorn origin looks like it would fit the bill nicely for 850 bucks, it has a lot of features I really like.

Another great LH action in that price range is the defiance tenacity. Very nice and well built action.

I would pass on a bare action for $300. Also a 40X repeater and M700 are the same from the factory. 40X are not trued or blue printed. The Remington Custom shop does not true actions.
What’s your budget? I would recommend building exactly what you want and will be happy with. The 243win is a very fun and capable cartridge especially when setup properly.
My budget is whatever my wife lets me get away with. ;)
In reality, probably somewhere around 2k without enraging my wife. This will likely be a here and there build, buying pieces when I see a good deal.
I do love the 243, I already have 2, one will go down the road to help fund this build eventually. My Ruger 243 was my first rifle at 12, unfortunately it isn't left handed. I have shot a pile of critters with it over the years. Outside of mcmillan and manners, I can't find a decent stock for it. I was going to put a more forgiving stock on it and have my girls shoot it eventually, but it is so heavy and the boat paddle stock sucks, so it might have to go down the road.
My other is a pre 64 model 70 I recently got from a friend, it is a righty as well, but I can manage given what it is. It is now my fair weather deer and antelope gun.
I'm really looking to build a good all around rifle to shoot steel out to 600, varmint hunt, and deer hunt. Hence why I would like to stay in the 6mm category, the bullet selection for target, varmint, and big game is very good.

My budget is whatever my wife lets me get away with. ;)
In reality, probably somewhere around 2k without enraging my wife. This will likely be a here and there build, buying pieces when I see a good deal.
I do love the 243, I already have 2, one will go down the road to help fund this build eventually. My Ruger 243 was my first rifle at 12, unfortunately it isn't left handed. I have shot a pile of critters with it over the years. Outside of mcmillan and manners, I can't find a decent stock for it. I was going to put a more forgiving stock on it and have my girls shoot it eventually, but it is so heavy and the boat paddle stock sucks, so it might have to go down the road.
My other is a pre 64 model 70 I recently got from a friend, it is a righty as well, but I can manage given what it is. It is now my fair weather deer and antelope gun.
I'm really looking to build a good all around rifle to shoot steel out to 600, varmint hunt, and deer hunt. Hence why I would like to stay in the 6mm category, the bullet selection for target, varmint, and big game is very good.
I really like my 243 as well. Will you be shooting factory ammo or handloading? A 243 shooting 105s is pretty fun!C6AA350C-6AC2-473C-8963-EBB00E0C1006.jpegC486CD4B-390A-4B7D-96C0-CCAD7615DACC.jpeg

I really like my 243 as well. Will you be shooting factory ammo or handloading? A 243 shooting 105s is pretty fun!
I handload for mine. I shoot 80 gr TTSX in the model 70 and the 85 gr TSX in the ruger. I wish the twist was tighter so I could shoot the 95 LRX for critters and the 105 for practice.

Ditto, and I own 2 of them, I've never seen a lefty 40x🤔

I've looked at Christiansen, but their offerings are limited in left hand. Their 243 is only a 10" twist and the only 6.5 offering of any interest is the manbun, which is a far 3rd place for me to the swede and the 284.
You do have me shopping custom actions, it has been a while since I looked and the market is improving for left hand actions at a less than insane price. It's not stainless, but the bighorn origin looks like it would fit the bill nicely for 850 bucks, it has a lot of features I really like.
If you like stainless there is probably a chrome-like finish that you could get. Metalife is good but dullish looking.

Brass is definitely harder to find than the common stuff, the 6.5x284 and the swede are probably about the same as far as difficulty to find. Swede brass is surprisingly cheap from Norma for some reason. I have thought of a 6.5-06, it is a little to wildcat for me at this point, I know a few companies make 6.5-06 brass, but I really would prefer something easier to get with the proper headstamp.
The only place I know of offering a 6.5-06 headstamp is Quality Cartridge Company. Not especially cheap at close to $2 a pop. I was fortunate enough to pick up a hundred from a gent over in the UK for a good price. There is a place in Texas offering custom 6.5-06 ammo, but they use Hornady .25-06 cases last I looked.

These have been fire formed to 6.5-06 Ackley Improved.

LmS1NXm.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back