Reloading tungsten

Mule man

Has anyone out there reloaded Tungsten in 12ga.? Looking for some input a nd recipes

Last edited:
Been there and done that. It's not difficult at all and does not require a traditional shotshell loader. All you need is a drill press and a roll crimp die. GAEP makes the best roll crimp die. They are Italian but are available here in the US. The loading is like a metallic cartridge. You buy primed hulls, weigh the powder, insert the wad and milar sleeve, load the shot and buffer, place overshot card and then roll crimp. There really is nothing to it and you can have some awesome ammo. There is nothing that performs like TSS.

It's really quite easy using primed hulls and a roll crimp. The problem would be acquiring everything to do it. Ballistic Products Inc (BPI) sells everything you'd need and have load data both in a booklet as well as free brochure and some load data on their site. You can also buy simple press setups by Lee. Again the problem would be to find one.

I’m assuming that you already reload for shotgun. There isn’t much TSS data out for a 12ga, because that would be A LOT of TSS. Most people doing it are using steel shot load data and substituting about 1/4oz of TSS for 1/4oz of the steel in a load. That lets you go up a few sizes on your steel, and still have a really high pellet count, plus it keeps your cost very similar to steel as well. There are a few guys who have sent loads off for pressure testing to confirm that they are safe. Certainly it’s something you do at your own risk, but neither steel nor tungsten compresses during the shot as much as lead does, and the final payload weight is kept the same as the steel load data, so it’s not a REALLY REALLY wild substitution.

I’m assuming that you already reload for shotgun. There isn’t much TSS data out for a 12ga, because that would be A LOT of TSS. Most people doing it are using steel shot load data and substituting about 1/4oz of TSS for 1/4oz of the steel in a load. That lets you go up a few sizes on your steel, and still have a really high pellet count, plus it keeps your cost very similar to steel as well. There are a few guys who have sent loads off for pressure testing to confirm that they are safe. Certainly it’s something you do at your own risk, but neither steel nor tungsten compresses during the shot as much as lead does, and the final payload weight is kept the same as the steel load data, so it’s not a REALLY REALLY wild substitution.
This sounds great, Wish I could find a recipe that was safe.

That's really similar to the Hevi-Shot HeviMetal and Federal BlackCloud TSS loads.

I know there are a bunch of guys loading TSS but many don't have true tested data. There is a forum called Tungsten Super Shot that some guys have posted data. Many refer you to tested Reloading Specialties Inc (RSI) loads.

The guy you buy shot from gives you recipes for whatever gauge you want to shoot and where to find components. Pretty easy process. This close to the season will make it hard to find components, though.

Hal (hawglips) over on TSS Forum sells the 18 g/cc shot in basically all sizes and provides pressure-tested load data after you buy from him. He requests you keep his load data confidential.

I’ve been loading it a few years and my performance is equal to or better than Apex.

BPI and/or Precision Reloading sells everything you need to load (components and tools), but EVERYTHING is sold out at the moment.

Back