Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

reloading dies

TheHunt

I just purchased a Remington 270 Mtn. Rifle for my son. We are going to start shoot varmints as soon as we get it sighted in and work up some loads. I have one gun (Rem 7 MM Mag), which I have hand loaded for this rifle for the last 15 years.

What company builds the better reloading dies? Which ones should I stay away from?

Thanks
TheHunt

T. Hunt, that's like asking who builds the best truck. I'll say that RCBS and Redding probably build the best dies right now. The only ones I've ever had trouble with are Lee dies... So that's the best answer I can give you.

cool.gif

I've only used RCBS. I've never had a problem. Never really heard of another brand failing though.

danr, whats up with lee dies? i just started reloading and alot of people have recommended them. i dont want to invest alot of money just to do it again.

I've had problems with Lee dies in the past. The finish inside the die was not particularly good and one set of -06 dies had a sizing die that was screwy. Too big on the bottom and too small on the top. Besides, unless they've changed, the threads on the Lee dies are different that the rest of them. I haven't bought a set in about 20 years...

cool.gif

the threads are the same now but ill check out the rest. thanks for the input.

The body of the Lee die is shorter and in some presses you may have trouble sizing all the way down also the seater die has enough slop that when crimping you sometimes buckle the case at the shoulder. Since there is only an 'O' ring to lock the the nut on the body of the die, you generally have to re-adjust every time you switch dies in your press.
When I buy a used weapon that comes with Lee dies, I throw them away. I firmly believe that Richard Lee has done more to stop beginning reloaders than any two gun-grabbing democrats.

I have used Lee dies with no problem, and I do not have to adjust them each time - I just turn the nut and not the die.

I particularly like the neck sizing dies. I do turn the brass a 1/4 turn and run it back in a second time, and that gives me very concentric rounds.

I only full length resize new, unfired brass, though, and the occasional .30-30 for my 94 Winchester. Everything else gets neck sized, so I may not have enough experience with the Lee full length dies.

I also use Lee dies for all my handgun reloading. I love the "factory crimp" die that crimps (either taper or roll, depending on the cartridge) and resizes at the same time. I shoot hundreds or thousands of rounds in practical shooting matches, and the Lee dies have eliminated jams in my autos.

It really is like a "Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge" argument.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back