Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Relatively new to mule deer hunting

TOGIE

I'm definitely over analyzing as I approach my Wyoming Mule Deer hunt. Admittedly, I've never gone out on a mule deer buck hunt.

I'm obsessing over where to focus my time - elevation wise - for an October 1-14 hunt. I mean, this probably describes everywhere, but this unit encompasses sagebrush rolling flatland, sagebrush and aspeny/timbery foothills, to thick thick timber mountains. The only glassable areas encompass the sagebrush, aspeny, timbery foothills, (and of course the sagebrush rolling flats) yet this is the "transition" zone for mule deer in this area for when winter starts to hit. I'm fairly certain winter really won't start to hit too much in the first half of October to cause this "transition" zone to really light up. Cross my fingers fingers. Yet, my other school of thought is that Mule Deer can really be found anywhere there is food, water within, what? a mile? and cover, and this seems to make this transition zone quite ideal.

From my perspective I seem stuck to the transition zone cause I'm not too interested spending upwards of 8 days blindly still hunting thick timber and occasional little open meadows. Maybe I should spend a day on the BLM rocky lowland areas?

For those of that have hunted Mule Deer in Wyoming in the not so easy time of year that is the first half of October, have you found that things are just really slow and you have to be lucky in these 7500 to 8800 foot zones before the snow hits? Or am I correct in thinking that if I glass these steep hills covered in sage, aspen, and pine, that I'll be finding bucks?

Before I started obsessing over this I figured these areas would be ideal, but this warm september combined with my neurotic brain and having to wait until October to do any hunting is causing me to overthink this daily.

Success is good in this unit, over 50%, I've never been too worried. But the more time I spend in this office chair on slow work days the more I analyze and over analyze this. I want a public land buck in this unit - I do have a private land option in my back pocket if I suck so hard or the hills are so barren that I come up empty handed after the first five days - but that's not what I'm looking to do. I shot a deer there once on a meat hunt, I wanna go out and find my own Muley Buck.

Break out the glass when you get there and see what’s there. I would be trying to come up with multiple glassing locations and see what turns up.

Good luck and please keep us in the loop ! I’d say your best bet is glass glass glass and then glass some more

Hunt it all until you find deer.

Deer will be in all of those areas you mentioned, likely at the same time.

There might be a place that should hold deer, but there are none. Just move on.

And don't pass up looking an area over because your mind has said deer shouldn't be there.

Yep. Go high and spend a lot of time behind your binos. That's early for rutting behavior, so you're likely only going to see bucks moving around at the fringes of the day to and from bedding and feed areas.

Thanks for some thoughts on this, everyone.

My plan certainly is to glass and glass and glass. My worry was, am I planning on glassing, glassing, and glassing too low? Should I just set up a new plan higher up the mountains?

Being from CO, I've always found that I basically just see mule deer everywhere I go. But I also have to remind myself that I'm often seeing that in late October and early November. Further, I realize I've never really spent much time in the woods in the first half of October, when Mule Deer are less active and often higher. I had a small freakout that the 15+ glassing locations I've put together - and while I did have a chance to scout one to see what it's like, but not spend any morning or evening time at - were actually all too low given the time of the year. Should I have set up the whole plan 1500+ feet higher? Meh, I'm not doing that just yet.

I've got my foothill locations all decided on; currently where I intend to spend most of my time. I've spent the time developing some higher elevation options, though the glassing will be trickier and more limited. I did find some old timber cuts to check out as well should the foothills show little sign of action. We'll see. I'm gonna stress about it until October 2nd comes.

I should have at least one morning to scout this weekend, hopefully an evening too.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back