MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Reintroduction Becoming a Problem

ELKCHSR

This is where the left just doesn't get it, they want all these animals brought back. Being that they have been gone from the landscape for a long time, the other natural defenses to keep them at bay, have long changed, to the point of not being affective against these now, new invaders.

Officials Struggle With Reintroduction

By CARRIE SPENCER, Associated Press Writer

COLUMBUS, Ohio - The river otter, that wily and playful critter adored by the public, is overrunning Ohio.

Now, wildlife officials there are finding themselves in the same predicament as their counterparts in other states: killing a species once on the verge of vanishing.

In Florida and New Jersey, it's the black bear. The Rockies and Alaska have the gray wolf. Nearly everywhere else, it's the white-tailed deer and Canada goose.

"In a human-dominated landscape, it's really tough to keep wildlife in the numbers we feel are appropriate," said Greg Butcher, a zoologist with the Washington-based National Audubon Society. "We have affected the environment so much that a lot of natural checks and balances are gone."

The otter's numbers have soared in just two decades — from 123 to about 4,300 — and Ohio wildlife officials are proposing a permit-only trapping season that would run Dec. 26 to Feb. 28, 2006, in 43 counties. Eight citizens who make up the Ohio Wildlife Council vote on the proposal in April.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates that wildlife causes $1 billion in crop and livestock damage each year, while deer collisions injure about 29,000 motorists a year and cost another $1 billion. Bird collisions cost the aviation industry $740 million annually.

The otter's story is familiar. Overtrapping drove the native species from Ohio by the early 1900s, but their reintroduction — starting in 1986 and lasting seven years — has been so successful that farmers are starting to complain. After all, a family of otters can eat half the fish in a privately stocked pond before the owner gets wind of their visits.

"If they find a nice trout farm, they're pretty happy with that," said C. Greg Anderson, assistant biology professor at the University of the Pacific in Stockton, Calif.

Otters used to be in every state but Hawaii but were wiped out over 70 percent of their range, Anderson said. Reintroduction programs began in the 1980s in 21 states, all successes. Missouri, one of the first with 19 otters released in 1982, now has more than 10,000 and allows trapping, he said. Kentucky began its first otter season this winter, running through February.

Government-sanctioned hunting of all kinds of animals is proliferating across the country.

Starting in February, private landowners in Montana and Idaho won't need written approval to kill gray wolves harassing livestock, while Wyoming is suing the federal government to get its wolf management plan approved. From about 30 wolves introduced 10 years ago, 825 or more now live in the three states.

Florida wildlife officials reported a record number of sightings of threatened black bears in 2004 because of sprawling development and busier roads. The state is studying the bear population and could lift its protected status this year.

New Jersey's second annual bear hunt was called off this year amid a dispute over the state's management plan. New Jersey has more than 3,000 bears, up from fewer than 100 in the 1970s.

Hunting groups once feared the disappearance of white-tailed deer, but management encouraging reproduction worked too well. Last fall, the Cleveland suburb of Solon became the latest Ohio community to hire sharpshooters to cull the prolific landscape munchers.

Few success stories compare with that of the giant strain of Canada goose, which was nearly extinct in the 1960s because of hunting and lack of their preferred grassland habitat.

In the Midwest, restrictions on hunting coincided with the explosion of office parks with manicured lawns and lush golf courses. The birds, with their 6-foot wingspans, are now fouling picnic spots with green manure and hissing and nipping at golfers. States from North Dakota to Pennsylvania have expanded hunting allowances.

While some see overpopulation as triumph over extinction, the Animal Protection Institute sees it as failure on the part of wildlife officials. Reintroduction of a native animal requires planning to prevent an overrun, said Barbara Schmitz of the Sacramento, Calif.-based institute.

"A lot of times, lethal solutions are looked at first," Schmitz said. "It is possible for them to become part of the balance of nature again."

This is where the left just doesn't get it

What a brilliant quote, likely much thought was given to this one...

So, I have a few questions:

1. How does society ignore the will of the people to reintroduce threatened and endangered species when the law says otherwise?

2. I was wondering if the folks who have helped reintroduce species such as pronghorn, mountain goats, bighorns, desert bighorns, elk, etc. etc. etc. are also considered part of the "left". If they are, as they are doing the EXACT some thing as whats been done in this article, I wish to thank them. Thanks to the "left" I now have the opportunity to hunt those species...and I've benefited from the reintroduction efforts of those pesky leftists. So, according to the brilliant author of the above post...anyone that ever thinks of reintroduction can think themselves as a fringe "leftists"?

I wish to extend my most sincere thanks to the leftist freaks who made this hunt possible...without them I would have never had the opportunity to take a goat (goats arent native to the Absoroka Beartooth country, they were introduced).

buzzgoat.JPG

buzzgoat2.JPG

The otter's numbers have soared in just two decades — from 123 to about 4,300 — and Ohio wildlife officials are proposing a permit-only trapping season that would run Dec. 26 to Feb. 28, 2006, in 43 counties. Eight citizens who make up the Ohio Wildlife Council vote on the proposal in April.

:cool:

Government-sanctioned hunting of all kinds of animals is proliferating across the country.

From this part of the article I take that is what the writer of the article is saying is a bad thing?

C'mon spring turkey season. hump

BuzzH said:
I wish to extend my most sincere thanks to the leftist freaks who made this hunt possible...without them I would have never had the opportunity to take a goat (goats arent native to the Absoroka Beartooth country, they were introduced).

Bring on Otter season. Those bastards killed my favorite trout pools. :MAD

I suppose Buzz, that I should have added more to that ,then I did...
They (the Left) want all of these things brought back into areas they once were, but don't want the management to go along with them.
I really don't understand where they (the Left) get off with this thinking, by using good management tools, like with elk, turkey's your nice goat, we all get to enjoy the fruits of reintroduction.
They get to see them, we get to hunt them, they are woven back into the network of nature.
I for one am all for a good sound reintroduction plan, but the plan really needs to have sound management into place, which a part of is hunting, before animals should be allowed back into some of their once native habitat.
Or as I know you would agree with, we face these goofy law suits to protect some thing that is way out of control.
:)
The article I posted, showed where

I disagree, I dont believe that the "left" wants all the animals brought back. As I already stated the ESA is law, and we're all responsible for addressing it. Plus, a good majority of the animals listed in the article were not reintroduced, but rather just increased in number through conservation efforts. Not all of the problems can be addressed through hunting. Kind of difficult to allow hunting of whitetails in housing developments or setting up a goose blind on a golf course.

Also, on every reintroduction I've seen in the last 15 years, management plans have been part of every EIS I've read. Not sure if you dont know how to read, or you just dont get it? Either way, what you're whining about is addressed, you just need to be able to comprehend.

Blaming the left for reintroductions and lack of management plans is the most ridiculous and unfounded comment I've seen in SI for a long time.

I strongly suggest you write the "left" and all the organizations that promote the leftist view of reintroductions...FNAWS, MDF, RMEF, various G&F agencies, etc. etc. etc.

I'm sure they'd be eager to hear your well thought out views...

LMAO Buzz....
Whining????
You alway's read your own emotions into most every thing written.... ;)
That being said, there are plenty of places that hunt in housing projects, its has bean a long tim sinse i red much, butt i do member reedin magzins that had that very subject in them.
They consisted of allowing bow hunters into residential areas to help cull the overpopulation of deer eating all the flowers.
It was pretty involving, but every one worked together and it seemed to be working.
There were also articles that had involved hunters pulling some of the geese off from the courses. That part didn't really interest me, so I didn't read to far into it.

Elkcheese,

Lets see some proof that the left is responsible for all the reintroductions.

We can start there to disprove your total BS.

elkhunter,

wrong...

I'll give you a hint...ESA was passed in 1973.

Another hint...he also passed NEPA.

Nixon signed the Endangered Species Act (ESA) on December 28, 1973 as a replacement for the Endangered Species Conservation Act of 1969.

His speech, upon signing, included "Nothing is more priceless and more worthy of preservation than the rich array of animal life with which our country has been blessed."

Marv, Congratulations! You win the prize for correctly answering the quiz. :D Buzz, thanks for the hint.

"In 1973, President Richard Nixon signed the Endangered Species Act (ESA) into law, providing the federal government with added authority to protect threatened and endangered plants and animals. This resulted in what the Supreme Court later called "the most comprehensive legislation for the preservation of endangered species ever enacted."

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) and the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) implement and enforce the ESA, and a list of all species classified as "threatened" or "endangered" is published in the Federal Register. In addition, the FWS produces a catalogue that names the species that have been removed from the list and the reasons for removal.

Once added to the list, a species and its habitat receive stringent federal protection. Listing decisions must be based solely on the best available data. Economic considerations are not allowed in listing decisions.

The ESA's goal is to bring "any endangered species or threatened species to the point at which the measures provided pursuant to [the ESA] are no longer necessary." To do so, FWS and NMFS develop recovery plans that lay out actions designed to protect a species. A plan succeeds when the species "recovers" and is removed from the list......................"

Imagine that darn leftist commie liberal Nixon passing and signing the ESA into law! :D

Maybe it would be helpful if some of our anti-endangered species hunters here in SI knew a little more about what they're talking about. Here's some info to study: :D

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=+endangered+species+act+facts

I remember having to delve into the MMPA back in my college fisheries classes, at the time it seemed to be more in depth than the ESA in regards to impacts and responsibilities related to both the Depts. of Interior and the Dept. of Commerce…may have changed with all the modifications to both acts since then.

Its interesting that according to the Fish and Wildlife Service 1,074 animals and insects and 749 plants are currently listed as endangered or threatened in either the United States or foreign countries and, while they estimate that the law has saved hundreds of species from going extinct, only 15 species have recovered to full health since its passage.

Ithaca- You never know- Nixon may have been a commie- isn't he the one that first visited Communist China? Damn, commie conservatives! ;)

I really don't think it matters who signed it into law, it was a great idea then as well as now. Only a knucklehead would think protecting endangered species is a bad idea or just a "leftist" idea...

Congress passed the Endangered Species Preservation Act in 1966. This law allowed listing of only native animal species as endangered and provided limited means for the protection of species so listed. The Departments of Interior, Agriculture, and Defense were to seek to protect listed species, and insofar as consistent with their primary purposes, preserve the habitats of such species. Land acquisition for protection of endangered species was also authorized. The Endangered Species Conservation Act of 1969 was passed to provide additional protection to species in danger of "worldwide extinction". Import of such species was prohibited, as was their subsequent sale within the U.S. This Act called for an international ministerial meeting to adopt a convention on the conservation of endangered species.

A 1973 conference in Washington led to the signing of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES), which restricted international commerce in plant and animal species believed to be actually or potentially harmed by trade.

Later that year, the Endangered Species Act of 1973 was passed, which combined and considerably strengthened the provisions of its predecessors, and broke some new ground.

MarvB,

That is pretty interesting, but I do think the key is not how many species have been recovered, but how many have been saved or kept at current levels...thats pretty much whats stated in the ESA.

It's amazing how one has to make small one sided comments to get some of you to let go of your vast knowledge.
But I guess if that is what it takes...
Then, well Thanks... :)

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back