Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Region A road access queation

Eric.MN

Heading to the Northern of WY region A devils tower area and have two spots in question for public access. Made a couple calls to the warden two weeks ago but being a busy time assuming their busy and understand the lost/no reply to voice mail. I'm wondering if someone here is familiar enough with the area I can send a PM too?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I had the region a tag last year and made good of it with a nice 9pt. Heading back on the 11th, just looking into some BLM with public access just curious how much access you can get to from two tracks. I'd rather hoof it then see people crisscrossing with their vehicle.
Good luck to you recon, I saw plenary of deer out there last year.

If you are heading to Wyoming Deer Region A and plan to use OnX maps be aware of the issues that have been found:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regional-Offic...and-Fish-finds-errors-in-onX-HUNT-Chip-used-b

ClearCreek

Road laws and access are a complete mess in Wyoming. WGF really needs to take some responsibility for this and put a map on their website that shows public versus private roads.

I notice his statement refers to "abandoned county roads." Wonder just how long they have been abandoned, and who made that decision.

Keeptrying:

The counties are the entity that makes the decisions on the roads in question. Somebody will nominate a road to be abandoned to the County Commissioners and then they will make the decision to abandon the road (the County Road and Bridge Crew will no longer maintain the road) or keep as a County Road.

ClearCreek

The single best way to understand what roads are owned and maintained by the counties is to check with the county assessor for each respective county. In many cases they publish county road maps on their website in a pdf format.

Keeptrying:

The counties are the entity that makes the decisions on the roads in question. Somebody will nominate a road to be abandoned to the County Commissioners and then they will make the decision to abandon the road (the County Road and Bridge Crew will no longer maintain the road) or keep as a County Road.

ClearCreek

In other words, a great opportunity for landowners in a county to influence local decision makers to help landlock public lands with very little oversight.

In other words, a great opportunity for landowners in a county to influence local decision makers to help landlock public lands with very little oversight.

You got it. Happens all the time! Sometimes those decision makers and landowners are one and the same!

ClearCreek

Thanks for the tips guys. The county GIS on their website is really helpful and I called the county on road clarification because so many roads have county names but are privately maintained.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back