Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Red Lodge area overnight hikes

Wind Gypsy

Howdy. I have a wedding in red lodge in a few weeks and was planning on doing an overnight (1 night) hike with the lady friend.

I’m thinking 15-23ish miles total would be ideal.

Google fu has led me to the hellroaring plateau and Sundance pass (probably about max elevation/distance we’d like) trails thus far. Any other recommendations would be appreciated!

What time of year? Seems to still be a lot of snow on the plateau.

What time of year? Seems to still be a lot of snow on the plateau.

July 12th to be exact.

Edit: if the USFS snow depth maps are accurate I might as well pack my snowboard!

Last edited:
There are plenty of day hike in and around the Red Lodge area. Depending on degree of difficulty ... this may influence your decision. Keyser Brown lake is a long (9 mile hike in), but it is realtively flat hike considering you are in the mountains. Timberline Lake is another (steep at first then levels out). If you want .... you can drive over to Roscoe, MT and then up the East Rosebud drainage and hike into a number of lakes in this area. You can hike to Sylvan lake and fish for golden trout or go past Sylvan and hike to Crow lake. The mountains in this area of Montana did pretty good with snow and I would be willing to say .... looking at the mountains out our window .... it snowed again last night/this morning.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back