Recommended Powder for 45 Colt Barnes XPB 225gr Hunting

P

Pmringer

I am going to be loading some Barnes Lead Free XPD 45 Colt for hunting in California. I hate to not use cast lead but am stuck with lead-free. I have been using Universal for range ammo but was wondering if there is a recommended powder for more powerful hunting rounds. I have gone through the manuals etc, but figured someone may have some experience with this particular projectile.

Thanks,
Patrick

I definitely can't help you with that Barnes, as I have yet to need to shoot a copper bullet. Out here in AZ our Condor zone is still voluntary for all copper bullets, and far enough north of me not to have to worry about, for now, anyways.

That said, I do have a bit of experience loading the .45 LC. My first question is, what handgun will you be shooting these loads out of? Depending on your revolver, Universal might get you all the pressure/velocity that is safe for your gun.

In the pressure/velocity realm of Universal, I've had great results with W-231.

If your gun can handle loads in the 30,000+ CUP range, H110/W-296 with magnum primers has done well for me.

I haven't worked with it too much, but Longshot has shown some real potential in my gun, and it doesn't need a magnum primer like H110/W-296.

Good luck, and keep us updated on how things go. It's always cool to see handgun hunting threads pop up.

I use 4227 in my .45 LC but I don't have my load data with me so I don't remember how much. There should be some load data for it online.

I am shooting from my Ruger Blackhawk so I can load up some pretty burly rounds. Someone else also recommended the H110.

-Patrick

If availability is an issue, keep in mind that H110 and W296 are the same powder in different packaging.

Great powder for barn burners. A 300 grain hard cast with a wide meplat and a stout load of H110 will get anything's attention quickly.

A 300 grain hard cast with a wide meplat and a stout load of H110 will get anything's attention quickly.

In the case of the OP, I think it's a shame that he can't use one. I shot a 335 Cast Performance into a dirt bank once. It went about a foot deep. I dug it out, brushed it off, and weighed it. The only loss in weight could be attributed to the fact that the copper gas check popped off the back. Shot into a critter, I just don't see a lead bullet of 20+BHN leaving any lead behind in a gut pile. Seems like that would make it non-toxic as far as condors go. But oh well. Good luck getting CA to take that into consideration.

In the case of the OP, I think it's a shame that he can't use one. I shot a 335 Cast Performance into a dirt bank once. It went about a foot deep. I dug it out, brushed it off, and weighed it. The only loss in weight could be attributed to the fact that the copper gas check popped off the back. Shot into a critter, I just don't see a lead bullet of 20+BHN leaving any lead behind in a gut pile. Seems like that would make it non-toxic as far as condors go. But oh well. Good luck getting CA to take that into consideration.

Good point. Appears my cognitive capacities are lacking when it comes to reading today. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcat1984
Back