MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Recommendations for a new bow for elk?

Bowtech Carbon Icon

As many have said, you need to try out several bows and shoot them to see what you like. I just recently purchased the Bowtech Carbon Icon. I can say for the money, it is a great carbon bow weighing in at 3.2 lbs (bare bow) and is very compact. It is maxed out at 72lbs and is shooting at 300fps, 30.5" draw, with Easton 330 bloodlines. It is fast enough for me and I like how it shoots. From what I've heard Hoyt Carbon bows are great, just not able to afford one right now. Good luck in finding what you suits you best!

If you're asking whether a bow has enough "oomph", remember a 40lb trad bow will do the job with the right arrow and broadhead. Otherwise, shoot every thing you can. I never put much weight on the compactness of a bow. To me, it's more important which one I shoot better.

I never considered myself a "fanboy" but I have two Elites, a 2008.5 Z28, (32" ATA) and a 2011 Pure (36" ATA), so I guess I'm an Elitist! Despite the "rule" that longer ATA bows are supposed to be easier to shoot, I shoot my Z28 way better than the Pure. I've tried short bows (like 30" ATA) and they feel like toys to me. Can't get a good anchor, string angle is bad, peep is waaaay out there, etc.

I shot the Impulse 34 and I'm really pining for one. Trying to save, scrounge, sell, beg, borrow and steal to afford one. I guess my sweet spot is 32" to 34", regardless of ease of carry.

Emrah

I shoot the Bowtec Carbon Overdrive and probably will for a while. It's light enough to pack around all day and shoots great for me.

Last year I was in the market for a bow and shot every bow I could get my hands on. My price range was 1000 for the bare bow. Prime has a nice bow but I find it a bit bulky. Hoyt makes a great bow as well. The Elite is a different animal. The most comfortable shooting bow I could find. It has an extremely solid back wall and a very large valley that can be adjusted. I bought the Elite energy 32 five minutes after I shot it.

I figured I would post an update on this thread. I ended up buying a Prime Rival today. I was really impressed by how easy it is to shoot and the quality of the construction. I shot it alongside a Bowtech, and I found the Prime smoother and better balanced. And all for a sticker price of $100 less than the Bowtech. I had gone into the archery shop thinking I was going to buy another Matthews (I had an LX previously) or maybe a Bowtech, but I'm so happy that I tried the Prime. They are definitely an up and coming archery brand. Hopefully in a few weeks I will be able to post a picture of it with a bull. Thanks again to everyone for all the advice.

Congrats on your new bow!! I've shot Mathews, Bowtech, Hoyt, Obsession and Xpedition all in the last 4 years. I think the new companies are really making a splash. I loved the Xpedition but the one I kept was the Obsession M7 @ 29" and 72lbs.

Love my Prime Rival! They're not known for their speed (still shooting 444 gr arrow @ 291 fps), but more for their quality, consistency, and their shoot-ability. This bow is simple to tune and Man, does it stack the arrows in there...

Back