Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Recommendations for a bow for my wife

Dsnow9

My wife loved archery growing up and was recently at a tac event and saw all the women shooting. I want to get her back into it. We have a 50 yard range in the yard and could shoot a lot with our daughters. I want to get her back into it and will definitely go to a shop and see what she likes the best. I have no ideas about womens bows though. Looking for bow recommendations as well as draw weight and any other recommendations are welcomed. She is petite but strong.

Start low like 50 and let her work up from there.. if you trust your local bow shop any, they will take the time to find one that she likes and fits her well, and usually have consignment bows for cheaper than new, but at very least will help get her an idea for ATA preference and things. My wife drew mine at 65 and let it down slow but I could tell it was hard for her and she was being show-offy lol good luck to both of you I’m kind in the same boat, but mine doesn’t want to as bad as I want her to.. lol

Serious question put forth in a non-serious way - what makes a ladies bow a ladies bow? Is it pink? Is the string notched to avoid the tatas?

Figure out what weight range she feels comfortable with, then go from there - and personally, I would a paid anything marketed as a “ladies” bow.

And please @Dsnow9 don’t take this as aimed at you, I just recently got a full dose of “pink gun” bs while rifle shopping with my wife.

There are several companies that make bows built for women. Diamond makes some great bows at a lower price point with tons of adjustments.
I used to own and operate an archery shop and would shake my head at guys that would have to buy the top of the line bows and equipment for themselves but for their wives they would go as cheap as possible. They would bring used bows or buy off brand junk and want me to make it work for them. Sad....if you want your wife to enjoy archery don't make her feel second class right out of the gate! Not implying that this is you just got me thinking of past experiences.

There are several companies that make bows built for women. Diamond makes some great bows at a lower price point with tons of adjustments.
I used to own and operate an archery shop and would shake my head at guys that would have to buy the top of the line bows and equipment for themselves but for their wives they would go as cheap as possible. They would bring used bows or buy off brand junk and want me to make it work for them. Sad....if you want your wife to enjoy archery don't make her feel second class right out of the gate! Not implying that this is you just got me thinking of past experiences.
Exactly, she gets to pick out whatever she wants!

Serious question put forth in a non-serious way - what makes a ladies bow a ladies bow? Is it pink? Is the string notched to avoid the tatas?

Figure out what weight range she feels comfortable with, then go from there - and personally, I would a paid anything marketed as a “ladies” bow.

And please @Dsnow9 don’t take this as aimed at you, I just recently got a full dose of “pink gun” bs while rifle shopping with my wife.
I’m not sure either, personally I’m leaning towards the Matthews Prima because of recommendations from some women at tac but it will be her choice. I think the axle length is a little shorter and designed slightly different but no idea.

And she has a teal pistol but when it came to her rifle she wanted wood. I think the only pink bows are lower end and she isn’t the type to want a pink bow. Planning on spending the same I did on mine and if I had to guess she will go solid grey/tan.

I would think starting at "easy" draw weight with a bow she likes and can shoot a lot, comfortably, would be most important. Can up the weight as she naturally gets stronger w repetition. Really this is true for anyone, male or female....I remember first starting out in archery in 8th or 9th grade, I'm not a big guy, and my draw weights were too high and I struggled, it kind of sucked.

Also, I was at my local archery shop yesterday and a lady was trying out the bows, I heard a comment from an employee that I trust that women tend to hit their arms with the string more often than men...no idea if that's true, but a reminder that a good arm guard might go a long way towards preventing a painful arm slap. That would be a pretty big and quick deterrent if it happens

Edit: also, I'm jealous of your backyard 50 yd archery range!!

I was thinking to have her start around 40lbs to try out bows and then get a 50lb bow but crank it down all the way so she can work up to 50lb as she gets more comfortable with it

If she has a short draw length, a ladies bow may fit her better. Mathews uses the switch weight mods now so if she wanted to move up out of the ten pound range she starts with, she would just need to get a new set of mods rather than a new set of limbs. Personally, I started with a Diamond infinate edge thst has a ton of adjustability in poundage. Then I got a Mathews Avail ladies bow which was the generation before the Prima. Now I shoot the Hoyt Rx-4. Personally I like the draw cycle on the hoyt the best. From a the point of view of a lady, I really dont feel a difference between the ladies specific bows and the rest. I think like as long as the flagship bows can adjust short enough for her draw length she should be able to shoot whatever she likes best.

I got my Diamond Edge last year (secondhand and greatly discounted as it is a 2013 model but had been well looked after) and I'm very happy with it. Looking at the newer model bows (both ladies-specific and general) in the local store recently I was thinking that I prefer the shape of the older risers which are contoured and fit my hand very well, versus pretty much all the new models they had in which have a squared off shape to the riser and I didn't like that as much. It's all about personal preference though and the more bows she can handle and get a feel for, the better.

My daughter (whom is now 25) has the Diamond Infinite Edge.
Set to 40lb draw weight with 31" draw length.

I shoot a 50lb draw weight APA Viper.

While at the Harrisburg, PA. Outdoor Show we stopped at the APA booth.
She shot a 60lb draw weight APA Mamba and really liked it.
The rep gave her a $200 off coupon if she wanted one.
She ordered it last month.

Last edited:

I am no expert but I've been shooting for 26 years. Seen a lot. There is actually some truth to the "avoiding the tatas." Part. I have been there when a new shooter caught a nipple with a string on release... Trying to get her to shoot again was pretty tough. Big box store clerk set her anchor point way back and low. Olympic style is the only way I can describe it. Which is fine for 70 Meters but at 20 yards can drop that string over the booby. People tend to turn their body in when the draw is to long. Shorter bows tend to move the string off of them to due to angles. Also adjusting their anchor point shorter or higher helps. A good archery shop will watch for it without making a big deal out of it.

The bow may not be that different but the setup will probably be.

I got my wife a Bear as it was pretty adjustable for pretty much anyone.

She's pretty fit and works out daily but we still started her at 40lb just in case. It was a good move as it was an awkward movement for her to do at first. Better start low so they don't develop bad habits.

I think a better approach is to go to your local bow shop and just let her shoot a bunch of stuff to see what she likes. Any shop worth it's salt will have pros there who can make recommendations, but ultimately, she will know when she shoots "the one". Whether she chooses Hoyt, Bear, Matthews, PSE, etc., is really irrelevant. It comes down to confidence and ability to make shots consistently.

I think a better approach is to go to your local bow shop and just let her shoot a bunch of stuff to see what she likes. Any shop worth it's salt will have pros there who can make recommendations, but ultimately, she will know when she shoots "the one". Whether she chooses Hoyt, Bear, Matthews, PSE, etc., is really irrelevant. It comes down to confidence and ability to make shots consistently.
That’s the plan, it’s always better to go with a little knowledge though

I bought my wife a Diamond by Bowtech as the price point was good and with no experience or need other than having fun, we could turn that bow into whatever she wanted. There was so much adjustment on that thing, I took her to a local bow shop that took her measurements and got everything in working order. It was a nominal fee to have them adjust everything. She will probably never hunt with it but enjoys shooting in the backyard. My point being if she had no experience, don't go all in on the new Mathews just for the name. Grips can be changed super easy. I think her draw weight is like 30 pounds but can adjust from like 15 - 70 pounds. Everything on a bow can pretty much be swapped or adjusted based upon personal preference so that is where we started. Since the beginning product was ok with her, we have never had to do anything additional and she is perfectly content. She shoots very little so we just keep the strings waxed and it will be good to go the next time she has the inclination to shoot.

Back