Reccomended rifle for shooting out to 1000 yards

Rifle is not that huge a thing to me. I find rifle's with round action's are what I lean toward. Take my best shooting rifle and have a fine 1000yd shooter shoot it at 1000 yds and likely he'd blow me away with my own rifle! If I wanted to get into 1000yd shooting, I don't. I would start with a round action and build from there! Or, is this a hunting rifle your thinking of? In which case I have nothing to say.

I'm not the most versed at medium and long range shooting, especially the last few years. I've made cold bore shots on human sized target out to almost 1200yds with 7.62 and a few headshots at 800yds with a platform and caliber that many say is sub par for that range. I still wont take a shot much farther than 300-400 yards on a game animal. My farthest shot was 384yds, I've missed a couple of hogs at 500-600yds. Their are too many variables that can go wrong when shooting that far if you are wanting to recover the animal. It is my belief you really need a lot of time behind a quality rifle in field conditions shooting at extended ranges and the best range finder money can buy before you pursue such an endeavor. Not knowing exactly how far your target is and how to call wind are the biggest obstacles that can make or break a clean kill, a wounded animal or a miss.

I'm not against long range hunting at all, there are guys that 100% are capable and have the software/hardware to do it. You just really have to be dedicated to the craft.

So to answer the original question; I'd opt for the Browning or save up another year and do a semi custom build and have more money for optics and range finder.

To the OP I say the .300 win mag is my current long range cartridge.
I target shoot with it quite a lot and shoot it very well out to 600yrds.
I have taken many deer at and just over 500yrds with down right there results as the .300 win mag has over 2,000 ft. lbs. of energy at that distance.
So if you shoot it well it's a great choice.
But, I strongly suggest looking at the newer cartridge in a Hells Canyon, the 6.5 PRC.
The 6.5 PRC will be my next rifle purchase for sure.
It has recoil less than the .270 in the rifle I was able to test fire, and gets 3,000 + fps out of a 24" barrel vs. the 26" barrel needed by most all magnums like the .300.
Few manufacturers offer it right now.
Browning has it in a Hells Canyon, but Howa is offering it this coming spring.
Good luck in your choice.
Compare ballistic charts on those cartridges, you will have to decide for yourself.

My Barrett 82a1 and leupold mark 5 is awesome to shoot at long distance targets. Too heavy for hunting but when it goes boom it gets attention

My Barrett 82a1 and leupold mark 5 is awesome to shoot at long distance targets. Too heavy for hunting but when it goes boom it gets attention
I've shot a suppressed MRAD in 338 and 300; it's a heavy SOB but with the can recoil feels like a 243, I could spot my own shots easily.

I have the NRA range here in northern NM to practice at from 200 up to 900 yards. My current rifle was an X-bolt Browning Gold Medallion .300 win mag. I had a mishap with it and it’s unusable anymore

Maybe I’m dense, you but you didn’t answer the first question.

If you are shooting targets at 1k yards, you don't need that big a gun. If you are shooting animals at 1k yards, you need a new hobby.
I know alot of guys who shooting animals at 1000 yards is their hobby.

I have a gun and set up that that can do it all day. Problem is I can't. I tried for giggles, nope. I am comfortable at 500 but its a poke, without wind and elevation changes And 500 is a lot different than 1000. I however have never shot an animal past 397, and really don't ever want to.

Hunt close, practice long. My sons are pretty efficient long-range shooters. One of my favorite hunting memories was watching my son shoot a pronghorn. I was a long way off watching through binos. I kept waiting and wondering when he'd shoot, knowing he could make the shot at anytime. Finally, I saw the pronghorn flop over and just after that my son stands up 72 yards away from the dead pronghorn. As far as wanting a rifle capable of 1,000 yard shots, I fully understand and agree with that. I truly enjoy time at the range with my sons shooting long distances. The first time I made a mile shot, my sons were harassing me afterwards saying that was the first time they'd seen me with an actual toothy-smile.

Hunt close, practice long. My sons are pretty efficient long-range shooters. One of my favorite hunting memories was watching my son shoot a pronghorn. I was a long way off watching through binos. I kept waiting and wondering when he'd shoot, knowing he could make the shot at anytime. Finally, I saw the pronghorn flop over and just after that my son stands up 72 yards away from the dead pronghorn. As far as wanting a rifle capable of 1,000 yard shots, I fully understand and agree with that. I truly enjoy time at the range with my sons shooting long distances. The first time I made a mile shot, my sons were harassing me afterwards saying that was the first time they'd seen me with an actual toothy-smile.
I agree, and I have no problem with a hunter having a rifle capable of long range accuracy. Problem lies with the ones that aren't capable of shooting the rifle. And, the guys that hunt for the long shots on purpose are a problem. mtmuley

This is a hot button for me. Sorry! I have no problem shooting at steel at whatever range you want. An animal is a whole different ballgame. I was recently shooting at some steel with my 6.5 in a gusty 10+ crosswind off a bench at 700 yds. If I guessed correctly when the wind would let up and held at the edge of the steel no problem, but if a gust of wind hit the bullet, I was clear off the steel. Now if that was an elk and I had the slightest wobble and the bullet was caught by the wind; gut shot.
Try this, run down to a 200 yard target and back. Sit down and get your shooting sticks or pack and try to hit a 500 steel with 5 shots within 10 seconds of getting back to your rifle. See how many you hit. Put the hunt back into hunting-400yds max. People can post all kinds of long-range shots to boost their egos be careful of what you believe.

anyone know of a good time of flight calculator that factors in BC

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back