Rebarreling a model 7

Well fellas the vote seems to be in. Just how hard is it to get into reloading? Cost and time it takes to get the process really figured out. I'm not looking to develop a super load, I'm just interested in loading to factory specs
You can get a used press on ebay for 60-70 bucks.....
The rest can be had for another 100 dollars or so. It doesnt need to be complicated or fancy equipment.
A Lee 3 or 4 hole turret press makes loading multiple cartridges easy for a beginner, i think.

Do yourself a favor and before you decide, buy the book The ABC’s of Reloading. Read through it all. If it still seems like something that is doable after your understand the steps involved, dive in!

Boy oh boy.. I was talking to a friend of my dad's today who's moving and noticed a Lyman reloader book in his truck. I asked, he said yes. So now I don't have to buy anything but components and dies. Unfortunately, now I have to find components and dies.

What bullet/ ammo do you usually shoot in your rifle?

I'd be happy to help get you up & going!
If you have any questions, need help researching potential loads, etc.
May even have some components to share.

First part is to read the loading manual you have. Especially the actual act of reloading.
Second is setting up a reloading space for yourself.
No carpet! Hard floor only!

Last edited:
I picked up a used electronic scale/measure for $150 and definitely advise it. Like all electronic crap, manufacturers are constantly upgrading which means old designs are dumped cheap for something with all the new bells and whistles. Only thing I don't have is a casing tumbler. Have no idea how critical those are. Used dies can usually be found at reasonable prices but maybe not so readily for oddball wildcat cartridges.

I still use a beam scale.
Bought a used RCBS for $20. :geek:
No worry about updates needed.

Keep your eyes open for "fleamarkets" and yard/garage sales. It's amazing what you can find at those sometimes.

Weighing out each load on a balance beam powder scale is incredibly time consuming. Been there! I inherited my dad's old Herters powder measure. Turns out it was very inaccurate, especially for cylinder powders. Now it's only a decoration on the loading bench. This electronic scale is extremely accurate and measures out the powder while I'm seating the bullet on previous load. Moves right along even with a single stage loader. I paid top dollar for that used electronic scale but the old fella was dying of cancer and I knew his soon-to-be widow could use the money. This one has been replaced with newer designs ... that simply hold more loads in memory. I don't bother using the memory at all. Just punch the load in each time I get it out. There are no update downloads needed to keep it operational.

Balance beam scales are now so outmoded that a used one can usually be found for free if you ask around. But be careful. Dad gave me one he picked up at a flea market with the notches on the beam worn smoothe. Very hard to keep it weighing consistent.

Last edited:
Yep, that's me!
Old fashioned.
I believe in sticking with things that work.
Bought scale used, have used it hard for almost 10 years now.
I can't begin to imagine all the cartridges loaded on one to wear out the teeth.

What bullet/ ammo do you usually shoot in your rifle?

I'd be happy to help get you up & going!
If you have any questions, need help researching potential loads, etc.
May even have some components to share.

First part is to read the loading manual you have. Especially the actual act of reloading.
Second is setting up a reloading space for yourself.
No carpet! Hard floor only!
I've just been running the factory 160 accubond for years. I'm thinking I'll buy the newest nosler manual once I get started my friends is a Lyman that looks to be about 15ish years old

There are small shops which will load for you for much less than $100/box. I'd still load my own. It's not hard. Start by reading reloading manuals. Your local library will have them.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back