Yeti GOBOX Collection

RCBS Chargemaster Lite

golfer

Looking to possibly pick up an RCBS Chargemaster Lite. Hoping to speed up weighing out loads. For those of you that have these what are the pros and cons you have seen with them? Do they work fine with all types of powder? Do you see any interferance with certain lights and phones in the same room? Any issues you've encountered?

I love mine.

It actually doesn't speed up the weighing of your individual loads. Especially if you are using an easy metering ball powder. Think of it as a motorized trickler.
For large stick powders, I think it is faster. In terms of the overall loading experience, it makes you faster.

I did have to get used to the, "tap,tap, whack" of the powder dropper not being in my rhythm anymore.

I have about 25 pet loads stored in mine. I load the hopper, power up, calibrate, recall the load I want by name, and start dispensing powder.

As far as interference, it won't reach a stable state if there are vibration sources on your bench. I run CFLs and LEDs lights right above it and I've had no RFI interference. I often have my phone laying next to it listening to an audio book while I work.

What it does is free you up to do other things during the powder dispense. It is definitely more accurate than I can be,too. It re-zeroes the every time you put the empty pan back on and then dispenses, it beeps when the charge is ready for you. This re-zero step means you don't have to stress about any granules that drip off on to the platform while the tray is out. This will happen with very fine grained ball powder. I only calibrate the scale one time at the beginning of my session.

Be sure to google the "McDonald's straw fix" for it. You actually really do want the MickyD straw becasue it has colored stripes on it, which show you the tube is spinning. (There is an after market gizmo, but it costs $15)

If you plan to permanently mount it, you will want to put it high enough that you can get under the powder dump tube on the right side. Take a sharpie and mark the powder dump door so you can visually check that it is closed before you pour in a pound of expensive powder. (BTDT :rolleyes:)

Finally- As Randy says - Don't pay retail. Watch for Midway and other sales. I paid less than $225 for mine.

This is great feedback. I had one of the Lyman DPS electronic scales back in the day. It started throwing incorrect charges and I lost faith in it. I am looking into the charge master lite as I’m sick of staring at the balance beam scale line to see if it’s above, below, or balanced out. I will have to start watching as I think it’s going to be on the list of things to buy in the near future.

I got one recently to replace an older RCBS unit that broke. It's much faster than my older unit, especially with rifle charges. Small charges for pistols, it's still pretty slow because it essentially trickles the entire charge. I would say that with the increased speed comes a loss of accuracy though. My old unit was slower, but more accurate. With the Lite, it's not uncommon to be over charged by .2 or .3grains. I did recently get one of those "straw trick" devices, but I haven't really used it yet.
It's also much easier to calibrate than my older unit.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back