Yeti GOBOX Collection

Rather be lucky than good

Ike

I loaded some of the wolf pack yesterday and went for a walk, hoping to start a lion. The dogs got lucky and struck a track that they could run in the dirt. It wasn't far and they had a young cat in the tree. hump

About the time I wanted to finish up my photo shoot that darn thing climbed down right in the middle of the hounds.....and away they went to my left. Seconds later, I could hear the thumping of padded feet coming my way and that crazy cat came back past me with the hounds on it's butt. But it didn't last long and they blew the air out of that cat and it climbed again. |oo

I should have quit while I was ahead but you know how it goes? Be daylight I had five hounds casting up a canyon with me bringing up the rear. The dogs did strike a scratchin tom lion before long, but where the lion had crosses snow drifts, the track had melt in it and no sun had hit the canyon floor yet. :cool:

This lion was going our way so I let the dogs trail it for three or four miles. But by 11:00 AM or so my butt was draggin and that lion popped out of a canyon like he was on the move so I quit him. It's alot easier to think about cold-trailing those old tom tracks in the dirt at home than in the field. :p

I think too many times we overlook the fact that lion hunting is about the hounds and not the tom lions we kill......killing is just killing!

Keep'em Looking Up |oo
Ike

Attachments

• onthewood.jpg
    onthewood.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 205
treed

Washington Hunter said:
Cool picture! Did you get any of the cat? What state were you in?

Hello Washington Hunter,

Those were just catch and release hunts but I've treed and had lots of lions shot down to my hounds over the years. Some of the best days, however, have spent alone on the mountain with just my hounds. You can go look on my web page and find out lots more about me, photos and that kinda stuff; there is even two video trailers on the video page that shows a short clip on two of the hound dog movies I filmed and put together for the public. My web page is http://www.ingramwildlife.com

So do you hunt hounds are just interested in lion hunting? hump

Keep'em treed,
ike

I've never hunted lions with hounds but I do hunt birds with my "hound," a German Shorthair. :D
I'd like to go on a hound hunt sometime but can't afford it. I have plans to try to call a cat in, maybe this next winter.

hounds

Washington Hunter said:
I've never hunted lions with hounds but I do hunt birds with my "hound," a German Shorthair. :D
I'd like to go on a hound hunt sometime but can't afford it. I have plans to try to call a cat in, maybe this next winter.

Calling a lion in Washington could be fun, I guess it's whatever you get into. I choose hounds years ago and gave up everything else. And that's the ways these dogs are so be careful you don'[t get sucked in.hump

I can remember hunting pheasants behind my German Shorthair years ago and feeling that rush as he went on point and the flush followed by the shot; I also remember how it feels to call a bull elk inside of fifteen yards and stick him with an arrow. Those sports are really neat, but the hounds and big game has stolen my heart and the bow now hangs on the wall along with the photos and articles I've written about the others.|oo

Life is full of great opportunity and a guy does need to grab the gusto on the way by!hump

Well, bedtime for this old fart,
ike

Calling a lion in Washington could be fun, I guess it's whatever you get into. I choose hounds years ago and gave up everything else. And that's the ways these dogs are so be careful you don't get sucked in.

Yeah, well they banned hound hunting for lions and bears, so calling one in or tracking in the snow are about the only options left. And there are getting to be a lot of cats. Someday.... :D

webpage

carbonarcher said:
Wow, Ike some great pics on your web page!

Glad you enjoyed the webpage! That thing started out years ago as a potential place to sell my wildlife cards, then moved on to a place to show and share photos and finally I've used if to help market my hound videos. It's funny how life changes isn't it?hump

ike

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back