Range Finder

kcd

Any recommendations for a Range Finder. $300.00 Budget. I am not a long range shooter. 400 yards or less. This is for Colorado Elk Rifle season. Thank You

Vortex has the Crossfire in that price range. Never used it, I used to use a Ranger 1800 that may be similar and it was OK.

If you can spend about $350 I'd recommend the Sig Kilo 3K rangefinder. Even though you don't plan on shooting long range I think you want a rangefinder with good long range capabilities. If the deer is still way too far, it's nice to know the distance and then range a ridge, rocks, trees, etc knowing that if you can get to that location it's a doable shot.

A little more info would be good.

Do you need angle compensation? What distances will your shots be?

to be more specific…shooting at a severe angle will significantly affect your effective range. We’re not talking 2-3 degrees…we’re talking 15-30 degrees of angle. Goats…Sheep…specific low speed arcing trajectory calibers (45-70 anyone?)…

So, Do you need angle compensation? Because that’s your real question.

Personally, I ran the math on a 7mm SAUM (140 AB ant 3k)…and found I was good to 400 yards, +/- 2”. Angle compensation didn’t mean much for me…but depending on what you are doing or shooting, it may or may not be important.

I will not be shooting beyond 400 yards. There is a strong possibility of severe angle shots. 6.5 CM 143g ELDX

Honestly I would not recommend getting a RF without it. Not for hunting anyway. You may not need it on this hunt but the next one may. It is something that is just best to have.

If you can spend about $350 I'd recommend the Sig Kilo 3K rangefinder. Even though you don't plan on shooting long range I think you want a rangefinder with good long range capabilities. If the deer is still way too far, it's nice to know the distance and then range a ridge, rocks, trees, etc knowing that if you can get to that location it's a doable shot.
I'll add that, even though your max is 400 yards, if the animal is outside the rangefinder's range you take the chance of getting a "believable" false signal off closer vegetation or ground. That happened to me with a cheaper rangefinder - After getting no readings I finally got one saying it was 360 yards. In reality I was well over 400 yards away and my shot was so low it blew out both knees. Luckily I got it with follow-up shots.

I now have a Leupold RX-1300i TBR that works well for me, but it no longer seems to be available. However, the 1400i is.

Any recommendations for a Range Finder. $300.00 Budget. I am not a long range shooter. 400 yards or less. This is for Colorado Elk Rifle season. Thank You

Well I don’t know what you are using for a Rifle Caliber but 400 yards is not very far you could use your rifle scope. Cut a 2x4 38 inches then check your scope at different ranges against crosshairs and what power setting brackets it at different yardages.

Attachments

• IMG_0867.jpeg
    IMG_0867.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 5
This has been working very nicely for me out to about 600 yards so far.
IMG_5104.jpeg

This has been working very nicely for me out to about 600 yards so far.
View attachment 294243

Does that do angle compensation? (I have it on my Leupold bow range-finder…want the same with a rifle version…)

Yes, I’ve had angle compensations done for me. .223 Remington and .260 Remington have worked fine.

I’ve used it to do some long range target planning and it comes really close to what I get with google maps. I’m talking ranges between 1000-1500 yards too.

Back