Range Finder vs. Binoculars

Blue Rope

I've got a pair of compact, 8x32 binoculars, but would like a more powerful pair. Problem is, I'd also like a good range finder. Eventually intend to have both but need to decide which takes priority. For the experienced Western hunters on here, given a $500ish budget, which would you take if you could have only one, a range finder or higher power binoculars?

Depends on where you're hunting, how you're hunting, and what type of hunting you're doing.

If you're going to be spending 90% of your time in the brush archery hunting, I'd stick with your 8x's and get a range finder. If you're going to be rifle hunting the sage brush flats, or spot and stalking above timberline, get the glass.

Depends on where you're hunting, how you're hunting, and what type of hunting you're doing.

If you're going to be spending 90% of your time in the brush archery hunting, I'd stick with your 8x's and get a range finder. If you're going to be rifle hunting the sage brush flats, or spot and stalking above timberline, get the glass.
I'm in North Idaho, so often thicker timber and shorter ranges than is typical in a lot of the west, although I do hope to do more hunting down south in the future, probably primarily spot and stalk. Majority rifle hunting with maybe a little archery. I'm new to western hunting in general. Hunted in Ohio for many years before moving here but of course that's a whole different thing. Killed my first elk last year at a bit over 100 yards.

I've got a pair of compact, 8x32 binoculars, but would like a more powerful pair. Problem is, I'd also like a good range finder. Eventually intend to have both but need to decide which takes priority. For the experienced Western hunters on here, given a $500ish budget, which would you take if you could have only one, a range finder or higher power binoculars?
Have you talked to @schmalts I'll bet if you talked to him you might be able to do both for around $600. It basically depends on how good of glass your looking to get into.

Have you talked to @schmalts I'll bet if you talked to him you might be able to do both for around $600. It basically depends on how good of glass your looking to get into.
Hadn't heard of him before now, but I'll do that. Not exactly sure on the glass. I'm partial to Leupold products in general, but I'm open to suggestions.

I'm in North Idaho, so often thicker timber and shorter ranges than is typical in a lot of the west, although I do hope to do more hunting down south in the future, probably primarily spot and stalk. Majority rifle hunting with maybe a little archery. I'm new to western hunting in general. Hunted in Ohio for many years before moving here but of course that's a whole different thing. Killed my first elk last year at a bit over 100 yards.
I grew up in Kellogg. Might know a thing or two about that "thicker timber." Shot my first 4 elk with a .30-30 because it works just as good as an '06 at 50 yards.

Even still, I'd invest in good glass first, unless you're already hard and heavy into archery. The range finder can come later, especially in the N. Idaho rainforest. If you're currently budgeting for a bow, add in another $300 for a rangefinder.

You never asked, but I'll toss it out there. If I were starting from scratch in that area, I'd start archery hunting in a hurry.

Unless shooting across a canyon, or sitting on a clearcut, you're going to have to be sneaky and get in on them. Might as well have the rut working in your favor as well.
It's a tough call. I'm a meat hunter first, recreation second. My primary consideration is what method gives me the highest chances of success. Back in Ohio, red meat for my family came exclusively from hunting. I normally killed 3-5 deer per year and we never bought beef. I intend to do the same here if possible. Last year I bought a B tag because I figured using a rifle would give me the highest chances of getting an elk. I got a four point bull opening day. In your opinion, which tag gives you the highest chances of getting an elk (not necessarily a "trophy" bull)?

More days in the field on an A tag.
True, but practically speaking, I've only got a limited amount of hunting days anyway and I can pretty much pick when I use them. I'm thinking my chances of bagging an elk are greater with a rifle than with a bow, given the same number of hunting days.

Generally I would say save up for a great set of binos before most all other gizmos. But you can buy a top of the line range finder for around $500. That would be a Leica for me. You wont get top of the line higher power binos for $500. Functional yes but not great. I understand range is really important for archery. So in this case and it's just me, I spend my 500 on the range finder and save up for a really great pair of Binos that you will use for the next 10-15 years. Everyone has different budgets and tastes but I am a buy once cry once guy.

It's a tough call. I'm a meat hunter first, recreation second. My primary consideration is what method gives me the highest chances of success. Back in Ohio, red meat for my family came exclusively from hunting. I normally killed 3-5 deer per year and we never bought beef. I intend to do the same here if possible. Last year I bought a B tag because I figured using a rifle would give me the highest chances of getting an elk. I got a four point bull opening day. In your opinion, which tag gives you the highest chances of getting an elk (not necessarily a "trophy" bull)?
What area of Ohio did you hunt?

Northeast, about an hour east of Cleveland, primarily. Hunted a piece of stare ground down near the Ohio river once or twice a year too.
I been hunting in Wayne National Forest every year for about 30 years. Im from NW Ohio originally. I come back a hunt with family south of Oakhill in Wayne.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back